The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 7, 1998, 11:50 PM   #26
Tony N
Staff Alumnus

If I have cloths on I'm carrying a Spyderco.
My favorite is my stainless Police, other wise it's my stainless Endura or Harpy.
Old November 12, 1998, 07:41 PM   #27
Rob Pincus

Never Really figured myself for a knife person, but while I was at this hunting ranch down in Texas this past weekend (Krooked River Outfitters) I saw a picture that converted me. It was a guy kneeling over a dead Wild Hog witha bloody knofe in his hand, I said "I need to do THAT!"

If any of you have ever hunted with a knife, then you know what I learned: It is the most thrilling way to hunt. Wrestling an animal down and putting the knife through the heart is pretty damn exhilirating. I highly recommend this for someone who wants to see what their knife can do. (Make sure you have a good "catch dog" distracting the business end of the hog when you grab it though!)

I even got to use my New 6Z Surefire and it's lanyard on these hunts!

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited 11-12-98).]
Old November 18, 1998, 02:29 AM   #28
DK

I would like to start carrying a folder clipped to my front strong side pocket. They seem very obvious, i.e. not concealed. Are there any systems for legally carrying a knife so that it is totally concealed? I don't want to make co-workers, clients, etc. nervous. Thanks.

Old November 18, 1998, 09:10 AM   #29
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Basics of California law: requires open carry...and no fixed blades.

Has it really gone so far left out there that you have to be concerned about coworkers opinions of your pocket/jack/folding knife?
Rich
Old November 20, 1998, 11:18 PM   #30
DK

Uh, Rich, is that a rhetorical question? Many people are disturbed by firearms and serious knives. I don't think a pen-knife would bother anyone, but a 4" blade is not a pen-knife, and would be commented on when worn with a suit and tie. I have pretty strong feelings on the right to keep and bear arms, but like religous and political affiliations, it's difficult to change anyone's mind about these things. I try to keep to discussing them with like minded folks or close friends. dk
Old November 25, 1998, 07:35 AM   #31
DCFinney

DK, my experience with carrying knives may help you overcome your concern about the way others may react to you. I wear a suit most days, travel frequently on business and often give lectures. There is always one of several Benchmades clipped to my pants pocket. It has become a part of my "expected" attire, there are often comments made about the knife, but I assure you that not only is it accepted (with the exception of the occasional airport security person), but has helped to encourage others to carry also.