The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 1, 2013, 03:40 AM   #1
1911Alaska

Can't get the Glock out me

Sold my Glock today, looking to go from 9mm to a 40. But I want something else. Don't get me wrong, I have loved every Glock I have ever had (17,21,27,29) they all do what they are meant to do. Never had one jam, I love the trigger and the short reset. There accurate and fit perfectly in my hand. I have had other guns, two Rugers, a cheap 1911, Berreta 92, and a Walther P99. These guns have all been decent for the most part but just don't compare to the Glocks for me. Thats the thing, Glocks are just boring. I want something new something I can be proud of thats not "just another Glock". I love Glock but just getting bored of it. All that said I now qualify for the Glock Blue Label program so is even harder to walk away from the dark side. I think Glocks to me are kinda like a 50 year old wife youve had since you were 20. You love her to death, but shes getting a little boring. You see all these hot sexy 20 year olds running around having fun and you would love to have one for a day, but if you were to spend the rest of your life with either one its gonna be your wife (the glock).

Okay enough of that lol

What to get? Thinking a XDM 40., maybe a Sig P226. What else do you guys think? I want a full size polymer gun in a 40 cal with double stack magazines. Preferably SA but could settler for DA/SA trigger but MUST have a short trigger reset. Buddy got a HK P30 last week and I just didn't like it so not one of those.

What else is there that I am missing? hmmm

Last edited by 1911Alaska; June 1, 2013 at 03:46 AM.
Old June 1, 2013, 04:04 AM   #2
JimmyR

I love my PX4, but I got mine in DAO because I just don't like the safety design. Not sure about the SA trigger.

I know a lot of Glock folks really like the M&P, but I have no experience with them.

Others have said good things about the new polymer line of CZs (P07, etc), but I haven't played much there either.

Personally, I like my guns to be made of metal, and for a good SA/DA weapon, I love my CZ-75 and my FEG PA-63. Once I get my Makarov running right, it may become one of my CC favorites...
Old June 1, 2013, 04:42 AM   #3
Jack19

Alaska, you describe, almost perfectly my current dilemma.

I've owned hundreds of handguns over the past 30 years, and that is no exaggeration. I've also been, mostly, out of the shooting sports since 2007, and I have not kept up with whats available out there or, it seems, prices.

Lately, I'be been looking for two things, a 1911, and as light and compact a polymer framed 9mm as I can find for CCW.

Naturally, I'm looking at the Glock 26, but I know exactly what you mean about boring.

And, prices, What happened?? Browning Hi-Powers are $1000 when you can find them, SIGs are running $900, HKs, the same. Even Glocks, locally, are high $500/low$600. Finding a basic 1911, I really like the Remington R1, is $600 plus.

It's not that the cash is the problem, just the sticker shock. I feel like Rip Van Winkle.

You might take a look at the CZ SP-01 Polymer frame. I've had good luck with CZs and it looks like it fits your criteria. But it's 9mm, so that may eliminate it for you. (Still, 18+1 is hard to beat.)

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/...sp-01-phantom/

If you're now in LE, and your department requires you to carry a 40, I'd suggest carrying the same 40 as your coworkers. That way, you can trade magazines if the need arises...and having been down that road...it can.

Good luck with your search.
Old June 1, 2013, 05:27 AM   #4
1911Alaska

I think I may stick with a Glock but get a FDE one. hmmm
Old June 1, 2013, 05:49 AM   #5
kcub

Consider the Sig X5 in .40. Not cheap but I understand it is supposed to be in the same accuracy class as the much celebrated Sig P210; that's worth something.

Essentially a single action only P226 except for the All Around which is standard DA/SA I believe. The Competition model has a huge mag release that is unfriendly for lefties though I understand per the following link it can be replaced with a standard P226 mag release. I just bought one but I am waiting for my mag release so I can't comment on shooting it just yet. Anyway, nothing much boring about this pistol.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/inde...owtopic=159556
Old June 1, 2013, 06:16 AM   #6
Garycw

I would 2nd the Sig, not that familiar with above mentioned model, but never met a Sig I didn't like! I also like my desert baby eagle( IWI Jericho 941) in .40 cal too.
Old June 1, 2013, 09:55 PM   #7
Sevens

I am not trying to be rude, but just saying what occurs to me.

You keep getting rid of Glocks because you find them boring and uninteresting, even though they do everything most folks want from a handgun, in your opinion.

I can understand that, even if I don't agree with it. Problem I'm having is that every single other thing you have listed in your post... what you've had, what you are considering, and that *yawn* your buddy has, and I can't find anything interesting in any of those.

Do you own any revolvers? Why not actually try something that is genuinely different, rather than shuffling a bunch of tupperware through your hands?

I would make an argument that there simply is no "interesting or exciting" tupperware guns, but that is obviously my opinion and I wouldn't expect everyone to agree with it.
Old June 1, 2013, 11:04 PM   #8
Bluestarlizzard

Here's a vote for XD.

I've got the sub compact in .40 s&w. Quote from the Glockophile I date when he shot it. "It's like they fixed everything wrong with the Glock."
Old June 2, 2013, 12:42 PM   #9
Black Eagle

You should get an XD. I had one but sold it cause it was not a Glock. I have trouble with Sigs because of the slide stop engages with recoil. Have not warmed up to M&Ps yet, but would love a Berretta 92.
Old June 2, 2013, 01:04 PM   #10
wild cat mccane

Technically your previous P99 you had a much faster reset than any Glock...
Old June 2, 2013, 01:06 PM   #11
sigarms228

Try a SIG P226 or P229. They are awesome pistols if you like hammer fired pistols like I do and easily my favorite hammer fired pistols. There are quite a few models that have the SRT but all don't.

You might also want to try a new M&P .40. SW has improved the trigger quite a bit on the very latest M&Ps and I found that to be try dry firing a couple recently as I may have interest in the M&PC 9MM.

Good luck!!
Old June 2, 2013, 01:10 PM   #12
Uncle Malice

+1 for the P226, given your criteria.
Old June 2, 2013, 01:35 PM   #13
Ruger45LC

I've been there. I cut my teeth on Glocks and over the years I've tried others just to see you know. Several M&P's, XD's as well as an XDM, a Sig, a Walther, a number of 1911's, several other cheap S&W's and all that.

But none satisfy me like a Glock does. Sure it's boring, but nothing else compares.
Old June 2, 2013, 02:15 PM   #14
1911Alaska

Well nothing changed, I decided I better get a Glock. I wouldn't feel comfortable trusting my life to anything else.

So I ordered a Glock 23 in Dark Earth on gun broker yesterday. Beautiful gun, can't wait for it to get here. I got night sights waiting for it.
Old June 2, 2013, 02:19 PM   #15
Bluestarlizzard

Well, I would say post pictures when you get it, but we already know what it looks like

Enjoy your chocolete brown goodness.
Old June 3, 2013, 10:24 AM   #16
+1k ammo

I second the Glock.

I always would shoot them and then look for others. In the end and after many years, I just stripped down and cleaned up my g21c and will never give it up.

I bought a shield for CCW, but now am thinking of a G19 or G26 if it fits my larger hands. I like the S&W, but it is not a Glock.
Old June 3, 2013, 11:04 AM   #17
Tactical Jackalope

Alright! Well we sound the same! lol, okay...I love my Glock's too, they're boring reliable and boring awesome.

I have a SIG P220, SIG P226, M&P-9, Colt Gold Cup Trophy Match, Hk USP 40, Browning High-Powers x2, Smith and Wesson Model 19-3, Colt Series 70...I know I'm missing a few more. I've sold a lot.

Anyways, I have several Glocks...

Now what I say for you? To have the Glock reliability and have it win a beauty contest here and there?

SIG Sauer P226 One of my favorite guns ever. 3,000+ rounds and carried it before my Glock for 3 years.

EDIT:

Quote:
So I ordered a Glock 23 in Dark Earth on gun broker yesterday. Beautiful gun, can't wait for it to get here. I got night sights waiting for it.
Ha! Ok, even better then! Stick to it...I've stuck to my Glock 19 and can't bring myself to carry anything else. So I guess you are even more the same as I.

Enjoy! Post pics. I have Trijicon HD's and a smooth faced trigger on my Glock 19.

Last edited by Tactical Jackalope; June 3, 2013 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Didn't read bottom posts.
Old June 3, 2013, 10:08 PM   #18
peacefulgary

I went through my "Glock phase" too...but I got over it.

Now I don't own a single Glock.
I don't bash them because they are good guns without a doubt....just not for me these days.
Old June 4, 2013, 02:09 AM   #19

Go to Home Depot and pick up a circular saw and an 8ft 2x4. Head home and slice up 8 prime examples O glock perfection Jones filled
Old June 4, 2013, 07:02 AM   #20
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.8 View Post
Go to Home Depot and pick up a circular saw and an 8ft 2x4. Head home and slice up 8 prime examples O glock perfection Jones filled
Appreciate your opinion. It was very insightful.
Old June 4, 2013, 10:01 AM   #21
arch308

I've always been a Glock fan since I started shooting/collecting handguns. I instantly fell in love with the simplicity and reliability as I am a firm believer in the KISS rule. I will never give them up and just last week finally acquired a Gen 3 G26 that I hope to try out today.
I do agree up to a point that they do become a little boring. They aren't really attractive and they just run & run with no hiccups. I have recently fallen in love with both my Sigs (P226 & SP2022) and the 1911 platform. Admitedly they now get most of my range time but if I had to get rid of some guns the Glocks would stay, period.
IMHO they are as perfect as it gets. KISS
Old June 4, 2013, 10:21 AM   #22
BuckRub

All you guys who owned multiple guns and always changing looking for the perfect one and wonder why you're still not proficient because you went from every brand there has been in the last couple of years.
Old June 4, 2013, 11:36 AM   #23
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckRub View Post
All you guys who owned multiple guns and always changing looking for the perfect one and wonder why you're still not proficient because you went from every brand there has been in the last couple of years.
Agreed to the max! That kind of stuff can get you killed. Different mechanisms in your "carry rotation". That's a no no. If you're switching over, then legitimately switch over! Train hard with your new one.
Old June 4, 2013, 11:55 AM   #24
Dragline45

Quote:
I have never had that problem, and I switch carry guns like women switch purses. Maybe I am naturally gifted, but just about any handgun I pick up from DAO to striker fired I shoot proficiently. Handgun shooting fundamentals transfer over from one platform to the next, it doesn't take much to become familiar and proficient with a new handgun if you have the experience. Haven't you ever shot a buddy's handgun at the range that you never shot before and pulled off tight groups right off the bat? You don't need years of trigger time on the same exact gun to become proficient with it.

Quote:
That kind of stuff can get you killed. Different mechanisms in your "carry rotation". That's a no no. If you're switching over, then legitimately switch over! Train hard with your new one.
At one point I would switch from a S&W 640 DAO revolver and an SR9C striker fired depending on my mood that day. I was familiar with both platforms, shot both extensively, and carried both extensively. I fail to see how carrying two vastly different platforms will get me killed. It's not rocket science.

Last edited by Dragline45; June 4, 2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old June 4, 2013, 12:42 PM   #25
Seaman

Agreed.

Today I have a 9mm Walther PPS on my ankle, a 40 cal Sig P229 strongside OWB, and a 44 spl S&W NightGuard revo in a shoulder holster. No extra mags, speed-loaders or moon-clips. Tomorrow I might have a different package.

I have been enjoying many different firearms since I was 4.

I like guns a lot, like variety, and enjoy carrying such.

Sure beats carrying same old boring whatever...