The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 31, 2005, 10:34 PM   #1
bill k

My wife thinks I'm nuts

I guess I'm anal about reloading but I decided to sort my bullets. I just received my new order of bullets. I was bored and decided to see how accurate the weights were. I found my 160 grain bullets very in weight by .1 and .2 g. I decided to sort them all by weight and do a new test for my loads. Can I expect to see a difference? I don't shoot competitively just for bragging rights.
Bill
Old February 1, 2005, 01:20 AM   #2
hivel37

As you know, Bill, there many variables involved in this stuff we do. Now, it's weighing bullets. Next, it's weighing and sorting cases. Weighing every powder charge. Getting persnickety about COAL. Oh no, maybe even outside neck turning! Stop, go back while you can!
Seriously, these little things can make a lot of difference. Important also is your bench technique. Consistency is the key in besting your buds.
Old February 1, 2005, 10:06 AM   #3
Jim Watson

I tried that one time with much less uniform bulk cast pistol bullets. Sorted some .45 SWCs by weight, loaded them in the same headstamp brass with the same powder charge and primer, etc. and shot them out of a known accurate gun in a Ransom Rest. The random loaded ammo was more accurate than the weight sorted stuff. Not much and probably not statistically significant over the long run, but it showed me that sorting pistol bullets by weight would be a waste of time.

I do sort my hand-cast BPCR bullets by weight, though. Nearly everybody in that game does. I sort by the tenth of a grain, keep the main lot within a 0.6 grain spread for match loads and load in order so no string on target is shot by bullets outside 0.3 grains. I save the next 0.2 grain on each end for a total 1 grain spread and use the light and heavy bullets for practice and fouling shots. Anything else gets melted down.

I don't think sorting jacketed bullets by weight will have much effect unless you have a very, very accurate rifle and are shooting at very long range. Maybe, maybe not. The guy who took me to a Long Range match last fall does not weigh his 1000 yard bullets. But he does weigh and prep his brass.

But you have the bullets and the interest, so why not try it?
Old February 1, 2005, 12:27 PM   #4
30Cal

I shoot highpower rifle competition and I never weight match bullets--it's tough to improve on a box of Nosler or Sierra's which aren't going to be off by more than 0.1 gr. If you are trying to tighten a 1/2" group, then it may make a small difference. I have some 173gr FMJ military match bullets and they vary by about +/- 1.0 gr, and those definitely fly better after they've been sorted.

I have weighed brass from time to time, usually only for 600yd loads. Still, my best scores have been shot with unweighed brass, and powder charges that dropped straight from the measure. For benchrest accuracy, it may matter, but for highpower comp, where a 1MoA rifle is good enough to win, the time spent nitpicking probably won't earn you any extra points. Personally, I'd prefer to spend the time dryfiring instead (something that is going to improve my shooting).

Ty