The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 9, 2010, 04:33 PM   #1
ditchbanker

.357 ammo differences?

Ok, I've considered buying a .357 for concealed carry several times and think I might actually be close to making a purchase. Here's my current dilemma, though.

I like the SP101 w/ 3" barrel. Fits the hand good, price is good, good reputation, all good. My problem is that my particular situation will not allow me to experiment with carry ammo. It's going to be Speer Gold Dot, probably 125 gr or 158 gr, I'm not sure which. This means that if the ammo doesn't shoot to point of aim, I can't just experiment 'til I find something that does.

I've never had any real issues with any of the semi autos I've owned with getting my carry ammo to give good POA/POI, but I understand that revolvers are a touch bit more finnicky.

At realistic ranges, let's say 15-20 yards, are the reports I'm getting of 125 gr and 158 gr shooting to different POI the difference between middle of sternum and bottom of sternum or middle of sternum and belt buckle? I'd really like to grab one of those sp101's, but not if I'm going to have to pay a gunsmith a huge chunk of change to get different sights. I can always go with a 3" model 60, which I still like, but I don't have a huge desire to pay the extra dough for what, to me, is only better by virtue of adjustable sights if I don't have to.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old November 9, 2010, 05:30 PM   #2
Dave Chuppa

I shoot 125 Grain 357 from my SP. If I put the Middle of my front sight even with the top of the rear sight, I hit dead center. This is easy because I have a night sight on the front and it is right in the center.
Old November 9, 2010, 05:36 PM   #3
Andy Taylor

MOST fixed sight .38s & .357s are regulated for 158gr loads.
Old November 9, 2010, 05:38 PM   #4
DogoDon

I have an SP101 in .357 magnum chambering, with 2.25 inch barrel. While I have not tried to compare the two cartridges you mentioned with respect to POA vs. POI at 15-20 yards, I have shot a fair number of different types of ammo through it at various distances (usually 7 to 15 yards). I'd say at the more realistic range of 5 to 10 yards there isn't enough difference between them to worry about.

DD
Old November 9, 2010, 07:38 PM   #5
k in AR

JM$0.02, I agree with DogoDon, the std for SD carry is 7 yards and usually 15 yards max. With my M-13 3" I have no problem with either 125 or 158 Speer ammo hitting so close to POA that the issue is moot. In all fairness to the other major brands they perform great at that range also. Biggest diff I find is with "night" shooting.... spelled FLASH. Remember "Self Defense" is needed far more times after dark than in good light. Might want to look first at low flash ammo and good bullets before worrying about the actual bullet weight. BTW-my edit-: not saying Speer doesn't have low flash ammo, most major mfg do, but not all revolver/pistol ammo by any mfg is low flash, even if it is called "personal defense", etc. Thus, you have to check every offering from every mfg carefully. k

Last edited by k in AR; November 9, 2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old November 9, 2010, 08:13 PM   #6
orionengnr

I don't think 15-20 yards is a realistic SD distance.

It is gratifying to be able to shoot well at longer distances, but I am hard pressed to imagine a situation that you would actually need to engage a human target at 15-20 yards.

If your POI = POA at 3-7 yards, for SD, you are good to go.

Note: This is my opinion only.
Old November 9, 2010, 08:37 PM   #7
ditchbanker

The reason I ask about that difference is that my qualification course extends out to 15 yards, and I like to be able to do better than that. This is going to be an off duty gun, which has the ability to stretch the distance out well past 7 yards (although that would still be the most likely instance I would ever seriously need it). It also has to be department approved ammo which is why the Speer Gold Dot is mandatory.

I wasn't going to get into department stuff if I could help it, but I think that it has become an issue in understanding my requirements.

Thanks for any help.
Old November 10, 2010, 05:44 AM   #8
pythagorean

The 125s usually shoot a bit lower because they are out the barrel quicker during recoil.

As far as .357s being regulated for a certain bullet weight I've found it mostly depends on the particular .357 to dope out what really shoots well.
Old November 10, 2010, 11:24 AM   #9
147 Grain

The heavier 158-gr. will be more likely to shoot to Point of Aim and allow more efficient burning of powder in a short barrel due to a longer time in the pipe.

Point of Aim and Point of Impact are important here, so find which load shoots best. As for range time, *****-cat 148-gr. Wadcutters are fun to practice with.
Old November 10, 2010, 06:10 PM   #10
ditchbanker

Again, the issue is that I CAN'T choose what shoots best, it's going to be whichever box of ammo they hand me. Of course I can practice and all, but the ammo is going to have to stay the same. Is that enough reason to get an adjustable sighted gun?
Old November 10, 2010, 06:23 PM   #11
savit260

If one doesn't work, the other most likely will.

If the 125s hit low, use the 158's.

If the 158's hit high, then use the 125's.

If either hit where you want them... use that one.

You can't try a few rounds of each on your own dime and time to see which works best before you try and qualify with this gun?

How about placing a call to Ruger and asking what weight bullet they use to regulate the sights at the factory on the SP?
Old November 11, 2010, 01:21 PM   #12
amd6547

I, for one, like adjustable sights. The 3" SP101 I owned was a fine revolver, and very accurate. But it hit low and left at 25yds with 158gn magnum ammo.
About three inches low and left. No big deal, but still...When I stumbled into a good deal on a 2.5" Model 19-4, I sold the SP101.
I wish Ruger would make the 3" SP101 available with adjustable sights in 357 mag.
I can easily imagine an SD shooting involving ranges of 25yds...or even more. Statistically, 10 feet may be more common, but it dosnt mean a longer shot will never be needed. My personal habit has me at the range shooting close up, then 25yds...then I may even go for the 10" steel plates we have at 40yds. With full sized service pistols, I shoot out to 100yds.
Old November 11, 2010, 06:13 PM   #13
ditchbanker

No, I can't decide on my own dime. They will give me one and I'm not sure which. That's the one I will have to use. I have ZERO choice in ammo. Given that, do I need to choose adjustable sights?