The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 14, 2013, 03:51 PM   #1
Doc Hoy

Great day at the range...

The weather finally broke. What a glorious day.

There was a lot of stuff that needed to get checked out.

I took the Rossi .45LC M92 along. Perhaps you recall that I was having trouble with barrel leading the first time out.

A coupla y'all recommended a larger bullet to better engage the rifling. So I move to a .454 sizing die instead of the .452. I also shifted over to the mutton tallow lube instead of Liquid ALOX. I guess that pretty much makes it a new round.

The thing was shooting left by about two inches but a coupla taps on the front sight corrected most of that.

I shot my Smoke Wagon .357 Magnum for the first time. I need to work on my black powder load for .357. I am getting eratic speeds and accuracy. Not certain what is going on. Gotta pay closer attention. I bought some smokeless .357 at the gun show the last time I was there and those rounds are RED HOT. Consistently over 1100 fps and kick like a mule.

Had to check out the repairs on that Geroco .357 Magnum. Disappointing. The positol still jams up when it cycles. Oh well. I guess I needed another project. This will be a learning experience.

Fianlly took along the Trapdoor SRC project rifle. What a blast! Nice and accurate. I reamed out the sizing die for the .45-70 rounds to about .461. No leading in the barrel in this rifle. 1200 fps to 1300 fps.

I shot the "stop trap" in my chronograph. It seems to work okay, just has a nick out of the corner.

The neighbor had a shooting party and those guys don't police up their brass. So I came home with about a thousand mixed cases mostly useable as they are. Many will probably be unusable after cleaning and tumbling. The only ones I can use are about half a dozen .357 Magnums. The rest will be up for grabs.

Also found a nickel.
Old April 17, 2013, 02:59 PM   #2
brazosdave

That' is a great day! I also have my 1873
s chambered in .357, I just like the flexibility of that caliber. (usually shoot .38's for moneys sake)
Old April 17, 2013, 09:31 PM   #3
chickenmcnasty

Re: Great day at the range...

I'm jealous. I want to get out and monkey around with the Bess, but I've been too darn busy. Sounds, like a productive and fun day.