The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 18, 2009, 03:01 PM   #1
Huntbear

Need some stock help.

I have a Sako M995 in .338 WM. The stock cracked right at the wrist section. It is not a deep crack, and I think I can fix it with epoxy. However, my question is which one? The stock is a Polyurethane stock. Any advice??
Old June 18, 2009, 06:57 PM   #2
john323

Need some stock help.

Is it a factory stock? Contact Sako and ask them what adhesive the use...or contact the Mfgr of the stock...I have had some adhesives melt poly stocks..
Old June 18, 2009, 10:29 PM   #3
Huntbear

Yes it is factory, and Sako is not much help. They say to send the stock back at my expense, and let them look at it... NO THANKS! I will fix it myself.
Old June 18, 2009, 11:38 PM   #4
dipper

I would send it back and let them take a look at it.
They may give you a new stock and all it will cost is maybe shipping one way....much easier and less work than a repair.
Old June 19, 2009, 02:35 AM   #5
sadsack

dipper: Brownells has "acraglas" that works very well for stock repair. It is thin enough to work deep inside the crack without having to split it even further. The price plus shipping would still be cheaper than returning the stock.
Old June 19, 2009, 04:45 AM   #6
dipper

sadsack,

I have used acraglas often and it is a good product.

I don't know much about Sakos synthetic stocks but do know that acraglas does not bond well with some synthetics.
Even if it does bond well with the OPs stock, I know for sure that you can not just pore or smear it on a crack and have a repair....you would at least have to take a dremel and carbide burr to the crack and widen it and make it deeper adding a few areas at proper angles to aid in mechanical adhesion.

I was assuming that Sako would not need the complete rifle ( could be wrong) and would just need to see the stock. If so, sending in a 2lb. stock wouldn't be that expensive.
If they look at the stock and see no signs of unusual abuse, I bet they would send him a new one.
Old June 24, 2009, 11:37 AM   #7
Huntbear

Stock is fixed!!!

Ok guys, spent about 2 hours with a utility knife, a drill and some acra-glass, and fixed my cracked stock. I opened up the crack line, and under cut the edges, for holding power, as well as drilling small "pillar holes" at angles from the crack. I then created a cross cut, approx. the same width and depth, and laid a piece of SS rod into it. I then took my hand drill and a bit slightly larger than my rod, and drillled two angled holes, from in front of the crack back into the wrist area, I will push a piece of rod into each one. I then sanded the finish off the stock in the area I wanted the acra-glass to adhere. I mixed my acra-glass, filled my drilled holes with it, then pushed my SS pins into the holes till they were below flush. I then finished the fix with the acra-glass, continually keeping the stuff where I wanted it, till it started to set up. Done some sanding on it, and am going to do a custom (read home done) camo paint job on it, to cover the patch. Here is the pictorial.

The crack is a bit hard to see, but goes across the wrist.

Prep work is all done.

The fixed stock before sanding.

Old June 24, 2009, 03:26 PM   #8
john323

Good Job!

Southern California
Anything legal, Rifles, Handguns, Shotguns, Black powder

Tags
acra-glass , cracked stock , fixing stock , sako stock