The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 11, 2009, 06:23 PM   #1
redrick

Benelli Legacy or Montefeltro Silver

I am trying to decide between the two. It will serve as a Field and Sporting Clay gun. I will be shooting more sporting clays than doves with it, but I can't afford 2 of them so that's why I didn't include the Legacy Sport.
Old August 11, 2009, 06:43 PM   #2
the rifleer

Well according to Tom Knapp, Benelli is the way to go. look him you if you don't know who he is...
Old August 11, 2009, 07:23 PM   #3
redrick

I believe they pay him a lot, he is good, so was Billy Mays.
Old August 12, 2009, 06:15 AM   #4
LanceOregon

If I were to get a Benelli, it would be the Super Sport:

Old August 12, 2009, 09:38 AM   #5
seanie

I'm very pro-Benelli, so you know what my choice is going to be. Having had some hands on time with the Legacy, I can tell you the fit and finish of the thing is absolutely phenomenal. A little up there in terms of recoil compared to other Benellis, but I'm guessing it's just because of the wooden stock. Great gun though.
Old August 12, 2009, 10:57 AM   #6
BigJimP

Like Lance advised - the Benelli I prefer for an all around gun for Skeet, Sporting Clays and bird hunting - is the Super Sport ( carbon fibre stock, comfort tech recoil system in it, crio chokes, ported barrel, etc ) - and in the 12ga, I prefer it in a 30" barrel ( because the gun is so light, the extra length, giving a longer sight plane, is a plus ). On my 12ga - I added about 8 oz of weight around the mag tube - inside the forend ( golfer's lead tape / wrap) - and then I put 8 oz inside the stock - under the butt pad - to give me an extra pound - to smooth out the swing as well. It also kept the balance of the gun - just a hair forward of the trigger group / so it was almost a neutral change. More weight - means less recoil too / although I find the gun, with the comfort tech a very soft shooting gun.

On my 20ga Super Sport - I left it stock - 28" barrel / I use it as a training gun / gun for the grandkids to shoot, etc ..

Its my opinion - that a wood stock Benelli will probably give you 30% more recoil / than one of their synthetic stocked guns that has the comfort tech in it. The Benelli manuals also advise - their recommended load to cycle their inertia action - is a 1 1/8 oz load at 3 Dram Equivalent. I like the Benelli inertia system a lot / shoots very clean / very easy to maintain - and I keep my guns clean and well lubed - but both of my Super Sports will cycle any load, even down to 7/8 oz on the 12ga, as long as its at least 1200 fps velocity.

Of the 2 models you suggest - I would probably go with the Legacy / because it has a mid rib bead and its ported ( which I think are both pluses on a shotgun ). Other than that - I think the specs on the guns are identical - with 2 1/4" drop at heel, 1 1/2" drop at comb and 14 3/8" length of pull.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking you need a different gun for sporting vs hunting vs Skeet - you can easily use one gun for everything.
Old August 22, 2009, 05:36 PM   #7
MKTexas

How about the M2?

I'm new to shooting and an looking at the M2. What do you think of it for clays?