The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 14, 2000, 02:49 PM   #1
Trigger Jerk

After is clean my guns with solvent, I then give them a shot of brake cleaner to remove the solvent and basically strip the metal, before re lubricating. My question is...what exactly is brake cleaner? I can't find it as inexspensively as I used to, and am looking for a substitute. I have a aluminum bottle that can be pressurized with an air compressor, I just need to know what to use. Any ideas?
Old January 15, 2000, 01:56 PM   #2
TEXAS LAWMAN

I believe brake cleaner is TCE (1,1,1 tri-chloroethylene). EPA has placed some severe restrictions on it 'cause it is a chlorinated hydrocarbon (ozone depleter). It probably causes cancer of your toenails if you inhale or eat 100,000 pounds of it per day.
Old January 15, 2000, 04:09 PM   #3
JoeHatley

You might want to try Dunk-It from www.cylinder-slide.com.

Works great...

Joe

------------------
Go NRA
Old January 15, 2000, 07:19 PM   #4
ML

One of the ingredients of Brake Clean is a solvent call toluene. It can be puchased in 1 gal.,5gal. etc. containers.
Old January 15, 2000, 08:06 PM   #5
KenReb

How does DunKit work for polymer frame pistols, in particular an H&K USP. I have used Gun Scrubber, but I have to be careful around the safety lever and sights so as not to remove the paint on the sight dots and the F & S on the decocking lever
Old January 19, 2000, 04:20 PM   #6
Contender

I've found Acetone to be good too, especially for cleaning loading dies. Just watch the fumes and only use it on metal. About 7.95/gal. in Wal-Mart. Evaporates fast. May cause one leg to become shorter than the other in a few years also.
Old January 19, 2000, 07:34 PM   #7
VictorLouis

See my thread under Smithy re: MPro7.
Old January 20, 2000, 07:07 AM   #8
Hal

A lot of the solvents listed here, Toluene and Acetone especially will attack plastics. Use them with care. I stick to name brand stuff, like Gun Scrubber, on the off chance that damage will result. You stand some chance is getting money out of a gun product maker for a ruined gun, but Wally world ain't going to give you squat for a solvent melted Glock. It may make the rounds of the store though as the "Joke of the Week".

Whatever solvent you use, Acetone, Tolulene, Xylene, Tri-Chlor, brake cleaner or Gun Scrubber, use it outside with a lot of fresh air. The local "head case" used to kill bugs with a lot of this stuff, and the effects on grasshoppers will convince you in no time flat that short legs, and malignant toenails are nothing compared to the havoc it causes your nervous system.
Old January 20, 2000, 09:12 PM   #9
jdthaddeus

I have seen some people get REAL messed up huffing Toluene. Be careful, that stuff is toxic.

I use Simple Green. Works great, and is environmentally friendly. It definitly cleans everything off the gun, not leaving any bit of grease oil or dirt. Of course, I don't think it will work as a bore cleaner (?). Try it, you'll like it. It is cheap too: one $7 jug will last many many years, and you can use it as a househuold cleaner as well.