The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 20, 1999, 12:26 PM   #1
Spyderman

Okay, here's a question for ya... How can you tell for sure if the firearm was produced before or after the ban? I know many manufacturers stamp the date of manufacture on the receiver, but this one has no such date. It is stamped with the Heckler & Koch name, so I know it's not the most current production, what else can I look for? On Benelli's web site, they show the brand new M1-M with a pistol grip and a two-shot extension and no mention of any restrictions, and on the same page, show the M1-M "entry" gun with a 14" barrel that states "Special License Required, All NFA Rules Apply", so by this I'm led to believe that the M1-M with the "legal" barrel length is available without restrictions. Anyway, I obviously don't want to get myself in hot water by slapping on some "evil" and making the shotgun "more deadly", so please let me know. I do know that in the new Kalifornia ban, the only mention of semi-shotguns is that any shotgun with a rotating cylinder or detachable box magazine is considered an AW, as well as any semi-auto shotgun with BOTH a pistol grip AND a folding or collapsable stock. I'm not so clear on the "Criminals Protection Act of '94" so, more research is needed before I hit the catalogs for accys. If the particular shotgun I just purchased is in fact Pre-Ban, I'd like to know how to tell. Everything I can see says it might be, but this isn't something I want to guess at.
Old December 20, 1999, 01:07 PM   #2
p1445

Have Benelli check the serial number to see when it was made, that will tell you if it is pre-ban or not. If it is post ban, you may not have a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon and a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds.

p1445
Old December 20, 1999, 01:47 PM   #3
CMOS

Price.

CMOS

------------------
GOA, TSRA, LEAA, NRA, SAF and I vote!

Old December 20, 1999, 11:50 PM   #4
phw

For pre/post ban serial number registry, try this http://home1.gte.net/bblakley/ban/index.htm
Old December 21, 1999, 11:29 AM   #5
Spyderman

Thanks everyone. According to the pre/post ban registry site mine SHOULD be PRE-ban, but I've got a call into Benelli USA to be sure. It really shouldn't be this hard to 'personalize' ones own property with readily available parts without facing felony charges. Things like this really bring into focus the idea that the NRA should redirect it's efforts away from mass mailings to those who are already members and start showing some real no-compromise effort to get some of these ridiculous laws off of the books. Thanks again.
-Spyderman
Old December 21, 1999, 10:53 PM   #6
P-35

Here's some interesting tidbit, the older Benellis will allow the chamber to be loaded with a shell on the carrier, allowing for an 8+1 capacity on the 18 in barrel M-1, the newer M-1s have a change on the bolt which will not allow this. This practice is not generally encourage or used but it's nice to know that you can do it. FWIW