The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 25, 2004, 09:45 AM   #1
FirstFreedom

OK, what about this idea - Optical magnification with iron sights

This idea came to me in a half-dozing state....Seems to me that it might be good to have an smallish magnifying glass, of say, 1.5x or 1.75x, maybe even 2x, mounted behind the rear sight, in some way, for use with a rifle's iron sights. I like iron sights on certain guns, but I think just a smidge of magnification would help see the front sight better in particular, as our eyes age. Would this work, vis a vis the focal point of the front sight vs. the magnifying glass's position behind the rear sight, do you think? Of course, a FO insert would accomplish the same thing in an easier/cheaper way, but still, this is an idea as well, particularly for those with serious eye problems.
Old November 25, 2004, 11:29 AM   #2
alvrez2

It sounds good but the problem lies in focus, there are three points of interest with open sights; rear sight, front sight, and the target. With only one lens you would have to pick which one your lens would focus on and the other two would not be visible. The way to do this would be to mount lenses in front of the rear sight to enlarge the sights themselves, then mount lenses beyond the front sight to bring the target into view, encase the whole thing in a tube and you have created a scope.
I too have grown into the problem of not being able to focus well, age is a terrible thing, we have the knowledge and experience now if I could just see the darn thing I could hit it!
What I have done to compensate when shooting targets and varmints is to slow down and focus my eyes through the sights shifting through rear, then front sight then target and back to line up the shot then take it. It works for me, the hard part is getting your eyes to shift focus.
Confidence is the key, once you can fake that, you've got it made!

Aloha