The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 8, 2001, 01:49 PM   #1
CReynolds

Hello all:

I am new to reloading and had a question concerning the storage of powders and primers. Can temperature and moisture effect them? I reload in my basement and I am concerned about moisture, temperature and shelf life.

Any help or comments is greatly appreciated.

Coley
Old May 8, 2001, 02:01 PM   #2
jthuang

Coley,

In general store powder and primers in a cool, dry and dark place. Separately, of course.

Temperature will affect powder, not sure about primers. This is why you see talk about periodically cycling ammo used in "car guns" -- the excessive heat of some climates can affect powder in the cartridges.

When properly stored, primers will store for an indefinite period of time. There was some talk about the government mandating that primers had to be made to have a limited shelf life but it never flew (and I'm not sure it's economically practical from a manufacturing standpoint anyway). I'm not so sure about powders but I would suspect powder would last a good long time too if stored properly.

Justin
Old May 8, 2001, 04:40 PM   #3
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

The powders made today,and the primers too, for that matter, will last damn near forever if stored properly. I live in hot humid South Louisiana and the heat and humidity down here are bad on powder and primers. I keep my stuff in an A/C-Central Heated enviroment and have no problems whatsoever. Oh by the way, yes humidity can affect the shelf life also. There were a few articles published recently about the velocity and pressure differences between dry powder and powder that was allowed to sit in a high humidity area before being loaded. The dry powders performed much better. The old timers knew what they were doing when they said "Keep your powder dry".
Old May 9, 2001, 12:09 PM   #4
CReynolds

Thanks for the info!

Coley