The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 26, 2008, 04:15 PM   #1
oryx

Barnes TTSX in Rem 7mm Mag

I am reloading some Barnes 140 gr TTSX for my 7mm and I have a seating question.

I have checked where the bullet contacts the rifling with a Stoney Pt OAL gauge and the cartridge OAL= 3.352" with this bullet. The Barnes Manual says the COAL should be 3.240" which leaves a bullet jump = to 0.112"

I have heard that it is wise to leave at least 0.050" jump (and not to seat too close to lands), but 0.112" seams like more of a leap than a jump.

If I start with the min powder charge and bump the COAL to say 3.280" (0.040" longer than the manual recommends) would there be a significant impact on pressure? The magazine can handle the extra length without issue and I would still be 0.072" off the lands. There is plenty of bullet left for neck tension as well.

Any thoughts?
Old December 26, 2008, 09:22 PM   #2
rn22723

Your real question here is that are you going to load ammo to a COAL that will feed from your magazine or are you going to single load?
Old December 26, 2008, 09:30 PM   #3
oryx

I can load them longer than the COAL and still have them feed from the magazine - won't need to single load. I have verified this with dummy rounds.
The question is can I load them longer than the listed COAL (keeping a sufficient lead to the rifling) and still have them at safe pressures. Usually moving closer to the rifling and decreasing the gap will increase pressures, but here i have a long lead and am wondering if i can safely increase the COAL and keep the pressures safe with the minimum load data from the book
Old December 26, 2008, 10:26 PM   #4
jsflagstad

.050" off of the lands

Barnes info should say to set them up .050" off of the lands. A longer COAL should actually result in lower pressure. Make sure that the loaded rounds fit in the clip / magazine of the rifle.

JSF

"Is your rifle interesting? -Larry Potterfield

Last edited by jsflagstad; December 26, 2008 at 10:33 PM.