The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 28, 2004, 12:15 AM   #1
mikikanazawa

Anybody tried the AR stock adapters?

The set I'm thinking of specifically is made by Mesa Tactical: http://www.mesatactical.com/

Click thru the products section until you get to the AR stock adapters section to see what I'm talking about.

Just wondering how comfortable an AR stock is when firing a 12 gauge. Been throwing around the idea of my next gun being something black and evil.
Old September 28, 2004, 03:26 AM   #2
User Name

That doesn't appear to be very ergonomic to me, but then again I don't do tactical entry for a living either...
"Whenever Governments mean to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise an army upon their ruins. This was actually done by Great Britain at the commencement of the late revolution."
Rep. Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts - 1789

GUN CONTROL....IT'S NOT A NEW IDEA......JUST A BAD ONE!
Old September 30, 2004, 03:45 PM   #3
CarlosDJackal

$90 is a little steep for my blood!!
Old October 2, 2004, 11:19 PM   #4
factorytactical

You might want to try my product. www.factorytactical.com. Same concept, better package. I include the scope rail instead of making you pay for it extra. You can get the whole package including the CAR15 stock, a pistol grip adn the adapter with built in scope rail for less than $110, or just the adapter for less than $70. Check it out and let me know what you think.
Old October 3, 2004, 12:33 AM   #5
grey_pilgrim

I would think that an ar stocked 12 ga would HURT!!!! I wouldn't want that.
Old October 3, 2004, 10:33 AM   #6
factorytactical

Actually for home defense you want to use lighter loads to reduce wall penetration. Bird shot can hit like a slug at close range with not much felt recoil due to the volume of shot. You can also use a recoil pad just like you would sue on a regular shotgun. If you want to use a heavier load you can use recoil reducing inserts in your CAR tube. They are a mercury filled tube with a steel plug that acts like a shock absorber. It takes the recoil and the mercury slows it down absorbing the impact.
Old October 5, 2004, 02:51 PM   #7
Mesa Tactical

Miki,

Go ahead and take a chance on us. Money back garantee, even if you simply don't like the color.
Old October 8, 2004, 12:09 AM   #8
45R

I just got my Mesa Tactical Package today. If you like the AR pistols grip this kit is for you.

This adaptor kit is rock solid!!

Here is the adaptor.

Another View

Old October 10, 2004, 07:13 AM   #9
BHP9

grey_pilgrim:

I have shot my friends 870 w/ an Argonaught Armament adaptor and M4 stock with slugs.

I wasn't bad and with the recoil going straight back it felt less.

http://www.argonautarmament.com/

BHP9
Old October 14, 2004, 06:10 PM   #10
45R

Here is my MesaTactical Kit with some extra goodies

Old October 17, 2004, 10:24 AM   #11
Gewehr98

If you get the AOW tax stamp paperwork accomplished...

So we Americans can own a 14" shotgun, then I think the collapsible AR-stocked 870 has merit. Nicely balanced for a 14" barreled shotgun, kinda silly on an 18-20" shotgun. Notice how all the ad copy pics of these adapters are taken using a 14" barrel shotgun!

Wasn't Argonaut one of the first companies to make the adapter? It's amazing how fast they all popped up afterwards!

Neural Misfires
Old October 17, 2004, 11:01 AM   #12
Mesa Tactical

A brief history of AR stock adapters for shotguns

During research into prior art related to a patent, we discovered the first commercially available AR stock adapter for shotguns (that we know of) was produced right here in Orange County, CA, by a company called Stock Options, in the mid 1990s. The former founder of Stock Options was coincidentally Mesa Tactical's first customer.

After that a number of individuals appear to have produced similar products in their shops or garages. One employee of the US Department of Defense had a couple dozen made in 2000, several of which are said to be in use in Afghanistan right now. ACE Ltd was doing something similar, but has since started OEMing a unit produced in the midwest.

As far as we can tell, Mesa Tactical, Argonaut and Cavalry Arms all started working on products at about the same time, after the introduction of the FN Police Tactical (a Winchester 1300 with a CAR stock, rail, ghost rings and front post). We got the idea from the original Benelli M4 stock (now the law enforcement collapsible stock), and thought we could jump-start things by using the AR-15 form factor. Argonaut was first to market, with Cavalry following soon after. After design, extensive prototyping and testing, toolmaking, foundry work and machining, we finally started shipping in September, a year after the others. At about that time, we discovered yet another vendor announcing a casting.

In the meantime, a number of folks, including big names, have jumped into the fray with cheap plastic variants. We are happy someone is supplying that part of the market that desires cheap plastic shotgun components, since we will never play there.

Based on the response both from the customer base (law enforcement, military, etc) and the industry (all our competitors), this is clearly an idea that has wheels. On the other hand, it's also a pretty simple idea that is easy to copy. This is why our approach is to make the adapter the centerpiece of a complete system for the tactical shotgun. Some of the early components of this emerging system are visible in 45R's photography. There will be more.
Old October 30, 2004, 02:26 PM   #13
smince

I try to keep up with all things tactical, but I didn't know these existed until I ran across this thread last week. Now to decide which one I want.

Brownell's, Dillion Precision, and Delta Force all sell a "33% glass impregnated adapter" (plastic) in the $35 range. Also, ACE LTD (www.riflestocks.com) sells the whole set-up(CAR stock, adapter, and pistol grip and recoil pad) for $138, but the adapter is plastic, also.

Also, FN sells a tactical shotgun set up with all the above, plus picitinny rail and AR sights with suggested retail in the $850 range. It is based on the Winchester 1300, since FN and Win are brother companies now.