The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 8, 2015, 12:34 PM   #1
Mcobb89

Should I upgrade my rifle

Hey everyone, I've been kicking around an idea about upgrading a rifle I own it a savage model 12 with a heavy bbl, bought the gun for varmint hunting but it's really heavy to carry around, gun shoots great and has a great trigger, I was considering buying a McMillan stock and having it suppressed to make a kick ass coyote gun for longer ranges and also for target shooting. Would like y'all's opinion on if the gun is worth upgrading. Thanks
Old March 8, 2015, 03:21 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

If it shoots well, then sure it is. The late Col. George Nonte, in his book Pistolsmithing, divided accurizing into two areas: Mechanical accuracy and practical accuracy. The former were about the mechanics of the gun; measures you could take that would improve group size if you were shooting the gun using a machine rest. The latter was about what makes it easier for the shooter to take advantage of that accuracy. So practical accuracy was about trigger work, better sights, better grips, etc. It sounds like you are already happy with your gun's mechanical accuracy, so if the McMillian stock makes a more comfortable an controllable way for you to hang onto the gun and keep the sights lined up with the target until after the bullet has left the barrel, then I'd say go for it.

The suppressor is a little different. I have no trouble with the idea in principle, but in practice you need to keep in mind the Savage barrels are not stress-relieved before contouring, so the muzzle may widen a little if you turn its diameter down and thread it for a suppressor. That can affect its grouping precision adversely, so no guarantees there.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 8, 2015, 03:31 PM   #3
Mcobb89

So if I had it turned the muzzle may actually expand? I was considering having a 2 point dedicated supressor installed. And from what I've read you'll have to turn back about 6 to 8 inches to do this. I'm not very knowledgable in this area so that's why I need help from u guys on stuff like this.
Old March 8, 2015, 04:11 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

If the gun is accurate, leave the crown alone. You can still have the barrel threaded but leave the crown alone.
Old March 8, 2015, 04:13 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

I've pretty commonly found military Garand barrels to be about half a thousandth narrower under the heavier part of the profile than they are in the narrower part out in front of the lower band shoulder. These barrels had non-stress-relieved blanks prior to contouring. So yes, the bore widening can happen. Ideally a barrel is the other way around; about half a thousandth narrower at the muzzle than at the breech. Whether it matters much to your specific load or not is only something you can only find out the hard way, unfortunately, but getting wider at the muzzle can't help.

If you want to go ahead with the idea, I would get the barrel stress-relieved first, before the new contouring is done and, if need be, re-straightened afterward. Usually they need to spend about an hour at 1000°F-1100°F in an oxygen-free atmosphere for stress relief. If the barrel was straightened any at the factory, then that bend is likely to be reversed during stress-relief and may need to be reapplied.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 9, 2015, 12:53 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

Having it suppressed does basically nothing but cost you money with zero advantage/return. If you change the stock you get into bedding and usually having to re-work the load. Neither will ever increase the rifle's value.
There is, however, a great deal to be said for "I want to." Just like "I want one." It's the best reason to do anything.
Old March 9, 2015, 04:57 PM   #7
Clark

I have build myself a lot of light rifles, but most of the time I get out of the vehicle, open the bipod, lie down on the ground and shoot a deer.

It is really hard to get that 10 pound rifle, scope, sling, bipod, rear bag, and ammo all down to 9 pounds.

The way I REALLY hunt, I could live with a 20 pound rifle.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old March 9, 2015, 05:29 PM   #8
Mcobb89

I love those posts from Clark and T, the I want statement cracked me up. But for what I'm doing its a lot of walking and climbing in and out of high racks so heavy gun is work, but like you said, I guess it boils down to I wanna.