The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 10, 2009, 09:20 PM   #26
uncledewey

Being an avid turkey hunter, I kind of feel that the greatest part of the hunt is having that bird strut up to you about 30 yds away all puffed up and gobbling. Therefore, if you use a rifle try an refrain from taking that 100 yd shot and missing the excitement of calling that big old boy in. If and when you get your shot gun, try out the Winchester Extreme Elite loads. They hold a heck of a pattern even out to 50 yds. 45 yds I've gotten 44 pellets in the kill zone. I use 3 1/2", 2 oz., #6 shot. Good Hunting!
Old December 11, 2009, 12:03 AM   #27
jrothWA

I recall an article is Field & Stream back in the 70's...

where the writer used a .243 with the bullet backwards, showing the base. and used reduce loads for SW turkeys.

No other info I recall.
Old December 11, 2009, 06:45 AM   #28
eastbank

i have not killed a turkey yet with my 32-20,but i have killed fox, groundhogs and a few close deer, the load i will use for turkey shoots a hard cast flat nose lead bullet at 1500fps. i will not shoot past 60 yds. eastbank.
Old December 11, 2009, 09:52 AM   #29
remingtonva

uncle trust me i love calling that turkey in too, seeing him throw that chest up is amazing! I love the excitement of a hunt not just to shot an kill an go home! im an outdoorsmen an thats what I love!
Old December 11, 2009, 10:15 AM   #30
Doyle

My current turkey gun is the best of both worlds. It is a Savage 24F .22 Hornet over 12ga. Besides being legal to use a rifle on turkey here in FL, we have the added issue of other "critters" showing up when you are calling. You never know when a coyote will try to sneak in or when a hog will pop out of the bushes. Having the Hornet on top allows me a chance of killing either one easily.

Unfortunately, the rifle barrels on those Savages weren't known for great accuracy. At 100 yds, I'm going to get a 2-3" group. I don't mind that too much because I consider the .22 Hornet really be a 150yds max cartridge anyway.