The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 10, 2009, 07:09 PM   #1
billythekid007

yote hunt today...

So... this is me venting.

Went out this afternoon to try my luck at some coyote's.

Got into my little position under a tree.. on a fence row and got all settled in.. chambered a round and got ready to call.

called (rabbit distress) for no more than 15 sec. (literally) and two big yotes start hauling out of the tree line across the field at about 300yds. one stops at about 200.. the other behind it.. take my time and fire. Nothing! I missed..

it gets worse..

sat for about 1 min. mad at myself and called again.. 30 secs. later the other yote comes out at about 150 yds. he just sat and looked at me for almost a minute. I took my time adjusted the scope...FIRE! yes... I missed again.

what did I learn... well...

I was shooting a tikka 300 win. set-up I can shoot MOA at 300+ yds. on most any given day (I do it often) the scope was zeroed 1" high at 100.

However I had not bi-pod.. i was out of breath from trackin through all the mud.. and flat missed.

what I am saying is.. I have herd this said on here before. I can shoot "moa" all day with a bench and relaxed etc... but when you are in the field (most of the time) its different. something I have known just never experienced like today...

an off hand shot at 150+ with your hart pounding and out of breath is tough.

next trip.. MORE PRACTICE, Bi-pod, and then some more practice.

anyway.. thought someone might also learn from this... I know I did..

thoughts?
Old December 10, 2009, 07:28 PM   #2
davlandrum

Try and add some realism to your practice if you can (and I know that some ranges are not going to let you).

A quick set of jumping jacks with your rifle safely on the bench, pick up your rifle and run two "quick" shots.

In my younger days, my partner and I would jog the 3-D archery course, pick a random unmarked distance, and have a count of 10 to get an arrow off.

Wish I was still in that kind of shape!

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old December 10, 2009, 07:30 PM   #3
longrange08

yup

Funny how that works weve all done it though
Old December 10, 2009, 07:35 PM   #4
billythekid007

davlandrum:

thats good advice... Ill try that
Old December 10, 2009, 07:49 PM   #5
Daryl

Quote:
thoughts?
Shots like that can be tough. If you don't practice them in the field, they're even tougher.

A lot of callers have resorted to bi-pods, and they do work on stationary targets, or even slower moving targets at longer ranges. They don't work worth a darn at close range on moving animals, which is where I do about 80% of my shooting at when I'm calling.

I'll sometimes take shooting sticks with me to a stand, "just in case" there's a long shot and I need them. The thing is, when I get a coyote in sight, I'm too busy watching it, and working it to set up the sticks. They've proven themselves worthless for my own uses on a stand.

I don't remember every using them to kill a coyote. I can remember shooting exactly one coyote using a bi-pod. They just don't work for me and the way I hunt.

Instead, I regularly practice shooting from field positions at various targets. I've also practice shooting tin cans thrown over my head from behind me with a .22 rifle. I strive to hit them before they hit the ground, and it helps tremendously with shooting moving targets.

I've found benches invaluable for sighting in rifles, developing loads, and testing rifles. It doesn't do anything for my abilities in the field. For that, I have to hit the field.

All that said, you missed. It happens, so don't let it get you frustrated. Go practice some to re-gain your confidence, and go try again.

Frustration won't help a thing. I know.

Daryl
Old December 11, 2009, 12:47 AM   #6
jdscholer

What I do is consider that I'm successful in just having called a coyote in even if I don't kill him. (which is often the case) jd