The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 22, 2002, 09:29 PM   #26
ATTICUS

I like to drink but never when I'm hunting. That means not the night before either. Nuthin worries me more than guys waking up after two hours sleep, and ten beers, thinking their sober and ready to hunt. Those guys are the most dangerous ones IMHO.
Old June 22, 2002, 11:16 PM   #27
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Atticus, there's a benefit to having guys like that around camp. First, get 'em full of breakfast. You put them in your truck and let them sleep, while you go get their deer for them. (Hey, "Full tummy, dry didies, must be time for a nap.") You put their tag on and return to camp and then go back out and do your thing.

You had all the fun, and they go home to Momma with something to show for the trip. You get a rep for doing that sort of thing, and you'll get invited to a lot of hunt camps. Freebies.

My father once said his high-count year from that sort of shenanigans was 32 deer.

Art
Old June 23, 2002, 08:28 PM   #28
ATTICUS

Art, around here they usually go crashing through the woods about 8:00am -walk past your stand to get to their stand- throw up- and then crash back out of the woods. Of course they might see the deer they spooked and take a hundred yard shot through dense woods at it. But then again...sometimes that can work for ya when the deer are holding tight and need a little spooking.
Old June 28, 2002, 05:34 PM   #29
TVDean

A very passionate topic indeed.

I think there's a HUGE difference between "he's drunk" and "he's drinking". At 6'-0" and 230lbs, it'll take more than a couple 12oz beers (5%ABV) to get me legally intoxicated (.08%).

Now some husbands of soccer moms will argue that even one drop of alcohol will prevent you from making sound decisions. But I guarantee,.....I'm more sensible when I'm buzzed than 70% of the population is sober. So don't go jumping to conclusions about how drinking a couple beers while in the woods is dangerous, when most of the sober hunters out there don't have IQ's over 75!

This reminds me of the media spouting stastics about how "...30% of all fatal traffic accidents involve an intoxicated driver.."
Well, damn man that means 70% (the majority) of the cause is sober people!!! HELLO!!

(I don't advocate drinking and using firearms)
Old June 29, 2002, 08:27 PM   #30
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The guys who work busily on a six-pack and ignore eating a meal are the ones who commonly cause problems. Impaired judgement...

Bud/Bourbon as a "Breakfast of Champions" is a real problem. Same for the guy who decides that it would be a good idea to go varmint hunting after an evening of hooch around a campfire.

Regardless of how any of us deal with the issue, individually, good judgement keeps folks safe; bad judgement gets folks hurt. A large part of the whole deal is having the basic judgement about whether or not you've "drunk up your good judgement."

, Art
Old July 1, 2002, 02:27 PM   #31
CWL

TVDean,

Gotta admit I wouldn't want to hunt near you.