The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 10, 2011, 12:38 PM   #1
Cuc Tu

To Sand or Not to Sand (SKS)

I know; shoot, clean, repeat...

This Yugo is an I-2xxxxx series, mid 1972 I believe. It's a California version, so launcher is removed and a brake is tack welded.

OK medium dark brown/reddish color and fair blue.

All SN match, except the mag cover has one middle number overstamped. I think this was reworked when the numbers were stamped as they are post blue.

It has just minor surface wear on the metal and a few dings on the stock and a rough mate to the butt pad - a bit dissapointed with a couple of scratches on the valve button and collar.

Anyway, the stock is rough, not splintery, but the grain is very deep. I'm not really sure how to describe it, but the softer wood areas are deeper so the surface is wavy. It is also more woody than shellac. I rubbed it once with BLO and that seems to have mostly evaporated.

I've seen some really nice looking stocks and it's making me envious.

It's a bit rougher than this one, and the butt pad is a bit more blistered at the edge.

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/di...temnum=8107031

BTW, the stock is also a bit loose at the front.

I'm also not thinking of a belt sanding it super smooth, just a moderate hand sanding to smooth it out a bit and then shellac.

Last edited by Cuc Tu; May 10, 2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old May 10, 2011, 01:43 PM   #2
Dino.

I would use several treatments of TruOil.
Apply, sand, repeat, until the TruOil fills the grain and levels out your surface.
Then apply final coats using steel wool between coats.

It's very time consuming you won't acheive the desired results in one night, but I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with the results.