The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 1, 2007, 10:29 PM   #1
FJR1300

Weight for a .30-06, Tikka vs. CZ

In my continuing search for a hunting rifle in .30-06, I had pretty much settled on a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless, but since that rifle is so light (6 1/2 lbs.) I wanted to see one with a wooden stock, both for appearance and because it weighs a bit more (about 1/2 lb.).

I finally found one today, and while it is marginally heavier, the wood was so plain that I like the synthetic better- how bad is that? Now comes the bad part- they also had a CZ. My CZ .22 Military Trainer is about my favorite rifle right now, but none of the stores I've been to have had any centerfire CZs and they don't make a synthetic or a stainless .30-06 so I had dismissed them. Now, this rifle wasn't a .30-06 but it was a long action and the wood was gorgeous! Well, I mean, after looking at the Tikka anyway. The good part was I finally got to check a CZ for fit and feel. Just like my .22 this gun shoulders beautifully for me. The bad part is it weighs 8 lbs. before the scope! Also, the receiver isn't drilled and tapped (although it does have integral mounts). I had hoped to use QD rings and move the scope to another rifle.

My understanding is that both are good guns and should be very accurate. I personally prefer the CZ "Mauser" type action with the fixed ejector (this is based on nothing but my opinion) but I haven't heard anything bad about the Tikka action. On the other hand, the lesser maintenance and durability of stainless/synthetic are attractive too.

My impressions (mostly from here and other forums) is that 6 1/2 lbs. is a bit light for a .30-06 recoil-wise and that 9+ lbs. is a bit heavy to carry. My only big bore shooting so far has been a semi, so I don't know how much difference the weight makes. Not yet having any real hunting experience, I also don't know how much difference the 1 1/2 lbs. makes to carrying it (it's been along time since I humped a load in the Army). Obviously, one would be nicer to carry, the other nicer to shoot, but I don't know how to "weigh" the importance of each.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate hearing from some more experienced hunters and shooters about their thoughts on how important these differences are- whether it's comments about the weight, one brand over the other, the importance of one "feeling" good over the other feeling OK, or anything else you think might be helpful.

Thanks, Mike
Old September 3, 2007, 11:24 AM   #2
FJR1300

Wow- nobody has an opinion on this? Did I say something wrong?
Old September 3, 2007, 01:23 PM   #3
KDM

You know the old adage, "You carry a lot and shoot a little"? That might sum it up for you. Not sure of your recoil limit...you could very well handle a 30-06 in a 6.5# rifle. In that case, go with the lighter weight rifle. You always have the option of any number of excellent recoil pads. Decelerator, for one. I love that one.

On the flip side, there are many who would say "Don't whine 'bout rawful weight, boy!". I semi-subscribe to this thought. I don't have the monetary means to hunt, but should the opportunity present itself, I'll make certain the ol' body's ready to do whatever's asked of it.
Old September 3, 2007, 01:37 PM   #4
gr8gun

Well, I'm not an expert... but here's my impressions of somewhat related items.

I recently acquired a lightly used CZ 452 (American) .22, so I have some limited experience with that brand. I also own Tikka -- a T3 Lite in .308, different than but similar to some 30-06 loads.

I believe my T3 lite is 6.5lbs., probably a pound more with the scope. I upgraded the recoil pad to a LimbSaver -- it was not necessary for hunting, since one might get one or two shots off in the field. I did it because last year was my first hunting season and I belonged to a range and I was practicing frequently with this rifle. Bottom line, with a LimbSaver shooting 20 or 30 rounds of 180gr. in one session was not a problem for me. That is especially true once the scope was sighted in, since getting off of the bench and practicing freehand is a less rigid position and easier on the shoulder.

I think that in terms of the "fit and finish", the general build and machining quality of the Tikka is far superior to the CZ. When I pull the bolt back on my CZ, I can see very rough machine marks. They are located in an area that does not impact performance in any way, but I doubt you'll ever see that level of production on a Tikka. Also, the Tikka trigger (out of the box) is as good or better than any gun I own - including Remington's that I've had professional trigger work done on. The T3 has a trigger that can be adjusted with a hex wrench, and I've got mine down to 2.5lbs., its sweet. The CZ trigger is acceptable, but nothing to get excited about.

I can't comment about long term durability or how well either gun stands up to abuse, since I haven't had either of them very long, and do my best not to abuse my guns (although hunting can have some unexpected impacts).

So, that's all I know, hope it helps!
Old September 3, 2007, 02:35 PM   #5
FirstFreedom

I think it comes down to realistically, where you will be hunting, in what kind of terrain, and walking realistically over how long of a distance when you hunt, and whether you tend to hunt fixed locations or walk/stalk. I'd tend toward the heaviest of the sporter rifles for .30-06, UNLESS I contemplated going on long hikes with it (say, around 3/4ths of a mile each way to and from the pickup/camp). Most "4-wheeler hunters" don't hike 1/8th of a mile from where they park their 4-wheeler would be my guess, and so you don't need a light rifle if you hunt in that manner. If you're gonna get up in the mountains and trek, or go into a back corner of public lands to get away from the crowd, where there's no roads, or walk/stalk hunt, then the lighter the better. I doubt a CZ is ever a mistake, however.
Old September 4, 2007, 08:13 PM   #6
FJR1300

Well, much as I like the feel of the CZ and the idea of more comfortable shooting, if and when I get to go hunting, I plan to go hunting- not from a blind or a stand, and not standing next to my truck- no offense to those who prefer to hunt that way. I think you can tell from my shopping this rifle and scope that I don't get in a big rush to pull the trigger- life has definitely taught me to enjoy the stalk as much (if not more) than the kill.

I think I may have found a good compromise. I "tried on" an A-bolt last night. Nice looking wood (also available in comp/stainless), fits me better than the Tikka (no CZs to do a side-by-side with), seems to have an excellent reputation and weighs in at 6 lbs. 11 oz. I think it may even be made in America, though I'm not really sure anything is anymore. It's also not anymore expensive than the others, although I think the Stainless Stalker may be- haven't seen one of those yet.

Sure is frustrating having to do so much travelling to see a particular rifle and not being able to compare them. As always, your opinions and feedback invited.
Old September 4, 2007, 10:55 PM   #7
davlandrum

FJR - no offense, but I think you may be over-thinking this whole thing. I mean doing research and all is good and makes sense for something you will (hopefully) have for a long time. Even the best prep before purchase can turn out to be the wrong choice for whatever reason. Luckily it is easier to trade in a gun than a wife

Decide what is the most important to you. It sounds like you really want a stainless/composite rifle. If that is the most important - don't even mess around with the blue/wood guns, it will only muddy the water.

If you are a hunter who, like me, does not spend a ton of time at the range, recoil is not an issue. I have a Rem SPS 30-06 (yes, stainless and composite). I have no idea what it wieghs. The recoil pad from the factory (might be limb-saver) makes range work fine for the number of rounds I shoot (around 200-300/year). I have never felt recoil when shooting at an animal, including shooting slugs from a Mossberg pump.

As far as carrying in the woods, you will adapt to whatever you are carrying. I just got done carrying my Oneida Black Eagle bow up and down the mountains bowhunting elk. I have no idea what it weighs. I know my buddy's new bow is lighter, but I have what I love to shoot - so I live with it.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old September 5, 2007, 09:50 PM   #8
FJR1300

Thanks davlandrum- sounds like good advice.

I am glad I kept looking around though because I think the A-bolt is the best fit for me. I like to learn too, and I have definitely learned a lot more than I knew before about rifles!

Thanks to all who helped with that!
Old September 5, 2007, 10:51 PM   #9
Fremmer

Quote:
I also don't know how much difference the 1 1/2 lbs. makes to carrying it
It makes a big difference, especially if you're trompin' through dense brush and going up and down hills all day. If you still hunt for extended periods of time (or hunt from a stand, etc.), it won't matter as much.

If your hunting will consist primarily of doing a lot of walking through rough terrain, then get the lighter rifle. You'll feel the recoil on the range, but not when you shoot at an animal.

Personally, I'd buy the Browning, but that's based on my own personal taste; I like blued finish and a nice wood stock.

The Summer's getting short. Pick a rifle, buy it, and start practicing with it (and also make sure your scope is good to go, etc.). Hunting season will be here before you know it!