The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 8, 2010, 04:05 PM   #1
gordon hutchinson

Help with info on shotgun

I was given a 12 GA. single shot shot gun from my dad it was my grandpas. the serial #A264306 was found stamped on the gun.No manufacture was found stamped any where, but this was stamped on it: Guyandot/Emmons Hawkins Hardware Co. Huntington WV. Iam assuming that was where the shotgun was bought from. We do live in the Huntington area, my dad seems to think the shotgun is around 90yrs old. any help would be greatfull, Thankyou
Old August 8, 2010, 10:08 PM   #2
LaserSpot

I think you're right; they also sold buggy whips and horse collars: http://www.archive.org/stream/specia...ge/n1/mode/2up

When's the last time anyone shot it?
Old August 9, 2010, 03:31 PM   #3
gordon hutchinson

Its been around30yrs or so since it been shot i think. Its been kept in a gun safe since my dad was given the gun about40 yrs ago. Was Guyandot a gun marker that you know of, a coworker says he can remember that maker being around. thanks for all your help.
Old August 9, 2010, 03:42 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

my research turns up that the place was a very large (for the times at least) hardware retailer...

Many places like this bought guns from makers with the retailers own "house label" brand or name of the retail outfit. Sears labeled them the JC Higgins and others had their own names...

Many makers built guns under these types of contract. Mossberg, Savage, Stevens to name a few...

Brent
Old August 9, 2010, 03:47 PM   #5
krimmie

Check this out.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...181626&start=0
Old August 9, 2010, 04:21 PM   #6
gordon hutchinson

Thanks again guys for all your info and links. I will have to let my dad know about this.