The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 28, 2000, 12:20 AM   #26
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

Think of snakes as effigies of politicians and you'd feel much better about wasting 'em
Old May 28, 2000, 02:32 PM   #27
Jay Baker

Yesterday, we had an emergency with our pet cat. While we were at the emergency vet hospital, two brothers came in with their pet Lab, who was about four years old.

They had been camping in the mountains about forty miles east of Boise, Idaho, when their Lab got too close to a rattlesnake. The snake struck the dog just at the point where the neck joins the shoulders.

One of the brothers killed the rattler with a .45 and they carried the dog in their truck, to the emergency vet. (Had the dead snake in the truck bed and it was about four feet long... what was left of it.)

The dog's upper neck and face were very badly swollen, and the dog was very disoriented, when I saw him.

We left before I found out what the vet was able to do, but that was definitely one very sick pooch.

Anywhere near my home or camp, I kill rattlesnakes. (I carry either a .41 Mag., or a .45 L.C. with the first two rounds being my homegrown snake loads.) FWIW. J.B.