The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old August 18, 2007, 03:20 PM   #1
mjoy64

Women in IDPA

Today was a good day. I started shooting local IDPA matches about 4 months ago. I enjoyed it so much I've been trying to get my wife to give it a go. Today she did.

She was not particularly good, fast, competitive, etc. but.... she had a great time. The SO's were very accomodating and helpful in making her feel safe and offering her suggestions/instruction. In one day she soaked in things like... what an FTN is, how to clear a malfunction, tactical sequence vs tactical priority, shooting from cover, slicing the pie, shooting on the move, shooting one handed (and actually on the move as well) , etc.

I know IDPA is a game and is not real life but... I feel that my wife is going to be better prepared to deal with a situation if one arises. Sadly she was the only female shooter participating in the event. I would love to see more females out there and would encourage the husbands/fathers of wives/daughers that are inclined to shoot to get them out there.

After the match my wife and I went out and ate a little Mexican food for lunch and had a great discussion on the days events. She was glad that I had encouraged her to get out and give IDPA a try. In fact she came home and joined IDPA (on their web site).

My biggest problem now is she's eyeing my S&W M&P 9 because she can drop the magazine from it easier than her Glock 19.
Old August 18, 2007, 04:56 PM   #2
Jim Watson

That is just great. I doubt we will ever have any great percentage of women in IDPA (not like CAS where they can dress up) but even a few move the whole thing upscale.

I hope you will spend some quality time together with the rule book, dryfire at home, and live fire practice on the range so she doesn't have to "absorb" so much at her next match.
Old August 18, 2007, 07:25 PM   #3
mjoy64

Jim...

It's funny that you mention the dryfire and practicing at the range. One of the things you have to cultivate is the desire to want to practice those types of things. The IDPA match provided that desire.

When we got home we cleared the firearms and went out into the play room and went through the tap, rack, bang drill discussing the merits of slingshotting vs. slide release methods for the rack part of the drill. My wife mentioned that she has a more difficult time racking the slide when her hands get sweaty. I showed her how not only could you pull the slide, but you could push the frame to accomplish the same end.

Before shooting the IDPA match she probably couldn't have cared less to know that bit of info.
Old August 18, 2007, 08:24 PM   #4
Jim Watson

The Cornered Cat is THE firearms source for women.
http://www.corneredcat.com/

There is a lot of good material there that will help her use and enjoy guns.
Like the push-pull slide rack.
Old August 19, 2007, 06:54 AM   #5
Joe D

I don't know if it is a good idea letting women participate in a man's sport. They should stay at home and clean the house. I will on occasion, if I am in a generous mood, allow mine to tag along with me to the range. No shooting - just to pick up brass.
Old August 19, 2007, 09:48 AM   #6
Jim Watson

Don't let Joe put you on.
Mrs D. is a fine shooter. With one of the smoothest reloads of anybody I know. She would be a great example for Mrs 64.
Old August 19, 2007, 01:22 PM   #7
HiPowering Along

Location: PA - Land of taxes, potholes and unfortunately Ed "Gun Grabbin' Fast Eddie" Rendell
Encourage whenever and whereever you can...

At the IDPA Nationals this year, I think there's maybe 28 female shooters out of 350 entrants. That is truly a lousy percentage!

More women need to get into the shooting sports - once most try it, they're hooked. The 'evil guns' bias goes out the window and most will head to the range themselves...

Two enthusiastic thumbs up for the Cornered Cat site - Pax does a good job with it.

Pickin' up brass? HER brass, maybe! Pick up yer own!!!
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." - One of the greatest sentences ever written into an instrument of democracy.

Last edited by HiPowering Along; August 19, 2007 at 02:11 PM.
Old August 19, 2007, 02:47 PM   #8
Joe D

I will on occasion allow her to help carry a tent.
http://www.gadpa.com/photos/2007_al_.../original.aspx
Old August 19, 2007, 04:26 PM   #9
drizzico

Just had to comment on Joe D's tag line:

Miss? That can't be a miss. Looks like a perfect double to me.

As our Den Mother says a perfect double is still down 5.

Dave
Old August 20, 2007, 06:33 AM   #10
Joe D

We have a shooting bud from Montgomery,Al. Every miss is a double with him. My wife and I were running a stage at the Alabama IDPA State Championship match 3 years ago when "Perfect Double Dave" came through. As luck would have it he had a miss. The first thing out of his mouth was "That's a double". My wife was scoring. Her comment, without missing a beat, was "Perfect double -5". He just stood there with his mouth open.