The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 11, 2010, 08:13 PM   #1
msnden

M-37 HD?

I have an older (I think I purchased it used in the mid 70's ) Ithaca model 37 that has done nothing but sit in a gun safe. Question- would it be worth the effort to have this gun cut down and be used as a HD gun? or would I be better off to just sell the Ithaca (or trade it in). I current use a pistol but would like to add a shotgun. Thanks, Msn
Old January 12, 2010, 01:34 AM   #2
scotyg

i wouldnt do that to an thaca. sell it.

ithaca does make an 8 shot HD model now so you could look into that if you want to stay with an ithaca.
Old January 12, 2010, 02:01 AM   #3
colostomyclown

sell it and use the money towards the model you want.
Old January 12, 2010, 02:11 AM   #4
HiBC

Duplicate post

Last edited by HiBC; January 12, 2010 at 02:16 AM.
Old January 12, 2010, 02:14 AM   #5
HiBC

Folks with reference books can tell you at what serial number Ithaca changed the design to interchangeable barrels.I used to know.

So,unless yours is pretty old,you can get another barrel.While you can get fancy with an Ithaca Deerslayer barrel or a Hastings replacement barrel,Shotgun News and Gunlist used to have an ad for a shotgun used barrel dealer.He had a bunch.You might check Numrich/Gunparts,maybe some other folks here will have ideas.The original barrel will pop right out,and you have fun with the replacement!!

I took one in on trade for my FAL,it had some extraction issues.We recut an old Numrich/HighStandard barrel blank to be a hard screw in barrel,threaded on a choke tube adapter(Takes paradox tubes for slugs!)I ordered some 4130 seamlaess aircraft tubing the right size for a full length mag tube,made a figure 8 mag tube,barrel clamp with a sight base to take a 1911 dovetail for a tritium sight.
I'm having fun!!!
I have not altered any original parts!!It can all be disassenbled and reassembles as an original 37
Old January 16, 2010, 10:26 AM   #6
jrothWA

SN cut-off is...

past 855,000, this is when the barrel thread was changed to allow inter-changeability with other receivers.

The pre-855K's barrel were specifically mated to single receiver,

SO if you have a SN on the right front receiver face, that SN should be the same on the barrel @ 5o'clock position ( bead being 12 o;clock)

IF NOT THE SAME, then take to a smith and have the headspace checked.

For HD use, the m37 is fine, located a "DeerSlayer" barrel, for a short barrel,

the mag loading from bottom with the bottom ejection is a good feature if you need to mag load in a situation.

LAPD used to issue the m37, but changed to semi's.