The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 9, 2009, 02:43 PM   #1
Gregory Gauvin

My first suppresor (silencer)

I'm interested in 3 different cans for suppressing my Makarov with .22 conversion.

1. Tac65

2. Gemtech Outback II

3. SWR Warlock

I do not have much experience with cans, but have shot a Ruger .22/45 with a Gemtech and it was very quiet. The price of the can does not concern me as much as quality and longevity and function. The only reason I list the Tac65 is because it can be disassembled. It is not as quiet as the Gemtech or SWR so I hear, and has aluminum threads. I am concerned that a sealed can will eventually fail, as best as you can clean it from soaking it. Is the SWR a significantly better can over the Gemtech?
Old December 9, 2009, 03:35 PM   #2
flight954

You may want to take a look at Tactical Solutions Cascade. You can remove the baffle and clean it.
Old December 9, 2009, 08:16 PM   #3
David Hineline

You can go too cheap on a silencer then regret it later, you will never regret spending too much.

I would not accept aluminum threads.

Spend a bit of time at silencertalk.com and silencerreasearch.com and you will find plenty of take apart option products.
Old December 9, 2009, 08:51 PM   #4
smee78

I went with a Tactical Innovations Quest and love it. I wanted SS and to be able to take it apart myself for cleaning. I think it will last a life time.

http://www.tacticalinc.com/quest-sta...sor-p-552.html

PRODUCT MODEL QUEST STAINLESS STEEL .22LR SUPPRESSOR
Suppression Capability Excellent

Manufacturer Tactical Innovations Inc.
Caliber Rated for .22LR Only
See QUEST Frequently Asked Questions #13
Application .22LR Firearms Threaded 1/2x28 tpi Male
(Such As Walther P22, Ruger 10/22, etc)
ID Mounting Thread 1/2x28 TPI
Material 100% Stainless Steel (Tube, Endcaps (2) and Baffles)
Weight 7.1 Ounces
Length 5.000"
OD Dimension 1.000"
Baffle Design Stepped, 2 Stage Ported K Baffles (stainless steel)
Endcap Design Threaded For User Disassembly, Each End
Finish - Polished Stainless (Standard)
- Matte Black Liquid Ceramic
Engraving Professionally Laser Engraved Per BATFE Regulations
Optional Accessories Three Lug Assembly/Disassembly Driver Tool
Two (2) Recommended
(Refer to DISASSEMBLY AND CLEANING INSTRUCTIONS)
Full Auto Rated Yes, Rated For Moderate Monitored Full Auto Use
See QUEST Frequently Asked Questions #3
PURCHASING
RESTRICTIONS A SUPPRESSOR IS AN NFA FIREARM AND MUST SHIP TO A CLASS 3 DEALER IN YOUR STATE. SEE SUPPRESSOR PURCHASING REQUIREMENTS AND GUIDELINES.
SUPPRESSORS CAN NOT SHIP TO INDIVIDUALS!
Old December 9, 2009, 08:53 PM   #5
NESHOOTER

YHM is another good quality maker of cans.....
Old December 9, 2009, 08:54 PM   #6
Lurch37

I have a Yankee Hill that I use on my Walther P22, and a Sig Mosquito, and I would recommend it to anyone. Its quiet and you can disassemble it for easy cleaning, which is something you'll want to do shooting .22lr. Initially I had some problems getting mine apart the first time but I've got that figured out now.

I also would be leary of aluminum threads.
Old December 10, 2009, 10:02 AM   #7
Lawyer Daggit

I know you have used both names: 'silencer' and 'moderator', but it would be helpful if shooters abandoned the word 'silencers'.

Most 'moderators' moderate noise, they do not 'silence' guns, and all the use of silencer does is feed Holywood firearms mythology and ignorance amongst poliliticians and media.

It is no surprise that two countries with liberal laws regarding moderators are New Zealand and the United Kingdom, where these items are known correctly as moderators.
Old December 10, 2009, 10:42 AM   #8
David Hineline

In the US ATF sends you to jail for an unregistered silencer.

As you can see Advanced Armament calls their products silencers.
http://www.advanced-armament.com/

From Gemtech's website.

Welcome to the home page of Gemtech. As one of the oldest and most trusted world leaders in modern firearm silencer design, we maintain a staff of experienced designers and production engineers to bring you the latest in silencer technology for government, law enforcement, military and qualified civilian applications. Gemtech is a veteran-owned business.

Everyone in the industry has used the term silencer since Hiram Maxim himself. It is the correct term.

http://guns.connect.fi/gow/silencer.html

Sound supressor, sound moderator, muffler etc. would also be a correct term.

Well known authors have written books on the item. http://www.amazon.com/Silencer-Perfo.../dp/0873649095

The US Military calls them silencers.

Last edited by David Hineline; December 10, 2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old December 10, 2009, 11:08 AM   #9
Skans

I tend to agree with Dave. They are commonly and technically refered to as "silencers". The term suppressor came later, probably as folks made these devices to suppress the sound of higher powered firearms than what they were originally intended for.

"Suppressor" Probably came along with the advent of "false advertising", consumer protection laws and sue-happy folks who cry when they don't think they got what they bargained for.
Old December 10, 2009, 12:02 PM   #10
flight954

Quote:
I would not accept aluminum threads.
Sorry the one I'm waiting on is the Cascade Monocore.

Tactical Solutions is proud to introduce the Cascade .22 LR Monocore (MC) Suppressor. This is the most popular Suppressor we offer because of its removable titanium threads for easy cleaning. If you're looking at purchasing a supressor, this is definitely the product for you!

Features:
- 1/2-28 threads
- Titanium Baffle Stack (Removable!)
- Titanium Body
- Weight: 4.3 oz
- Length: 5.5”
- 1 Inch diameter
- Titanium Finish
Old December 10, 2009, 01:50 PM   #11
Skans

Personally, I'd rather have stainless steel than titanium. Just a bit stronger and the extra weight wouldn't be a factor for me.
Old December 10, 2009, 03:09 PM   #12
WoofersInc

There is also the SilencerCo Sparrow. It has been getting really good reviews. It is a can that has a unique method of dis-assembly for cleaning.
I have a dealer here in Vegas that is ordering one for me.

http://www.silencerco.com/Silencerco/
Old December 10, 2009, 03:20 PM   #13
David Hineline

Gregory to answer your original question. If you are going to shoot a lot I would go with none of those choices you listed because the TAC 65 is too low end, and the other two are sealed with a life expectancy of around 12000 rnds.

If 12k rnd will last your lifetime and your heirs lifetime of shooting than the Outback II or SWR product will be fine.

If you shoot a lot, then you want one you can clean and there are plenty of those silencers available, just not off your list.
Old December 11, 2009, 02:48 AM   #14
Gregory Gauvin

One of the reasons I said "silencer" is because on the Form 4 you must send to the ATF you must clearly label the type of weapon as "silencer", not moderator or suppressor.
Old December 11, 2009, 04:02 PM   #15
jvtiii

YHM

+1 on the YHM. Very quiet, cost efficient and comes apart for cleaning....plus the folks at YHM are a pleasure to deal with.
Old December 12, 2009, 04:04 AM   #16
David Hineline

The same guys who get hung up over silencer/vs suppressor are the same ones who say a silencer won't work on a supersonic round, while the guys who just put the silencer on their rifle are killing 400 prairie dogs in a day without hearing protection of any kind.
Old December 12, 2009, 11:36 AM   #17
Crosshair

Don't buy a sealed 22 rimfire can. It will get filled with lead and be very difficult to cleaned and/or rebuilt.

With a take-apart can, aluminum threads are not that large an issue because the end cap can always be replaced, the tube is the registered component.
Old December 13, 2009, 08:15 PM   #18
AaronCoady

YHM

+ 1 on the YHM Mite. Cheap, effective and easy to break apart and clean.
Old December 13, 2009, 11:18 PM   #19
PK380

Sealed cans

I bought 2 sealed cans before take-apart cans were available. I bought an SWR Spectre this year.
Old December 14, 2009, 09:48 AM   #20
freakshow10mm

Best thing is to pay the premium ($30 IIRC) to silencerresearch.com and look at the in depth .22 silencer chart. Eye opener. The YHM cans didn't fair well against the competition. Check it out yourself.

The term silencer was coined by Maxim for marketing purposes. That's what the NFA uses as well as muffler (automobile mufflers were actually designed after Maxim's silencer and the first were nothing more than his silencer welded to the tailpipe). The guy from Sound Tech (Mark White?) coined the term suppressor as that is closer to it's actual purpose and end result.

Several manufacturers use silencers, some like YHM use only suppressor, some use the terms, as well as the slang "can", interchangeably. Big deal.
Old December 14, 2009, 10:41 AM   #21
Willie Lowman

Quote:
Several manufacturers use silencers, some like YHM use only suppressor, some use the terms, as well as the slang "can", interchangeably. Big deal.
There you have it, straight from the nomenclature stickler's mouth.

Seriously, Freakshow's post is right on. Check out silencerresearch, give John the $30. It is worth it.
Old December 14, 2009, 11:00 AM   #22
freakshow10mm

Quote:
There you have it, straight from the nomenclature stickler's mouth.
Well, fingers actually, but I'll let it slide this one time.
Old December 15, 2009, 08:19 AM   #23
smee78

Who really cares what the thing is called! we all know what it is. The OP did not ask what the yall think the proper term is. Please stay on topic or start another thread.
Old December 15, 2009, 09:19 AM   #24
freakshow10mm

You just don't get it.
Old December 22, 2009, 06:31 PM   #25
glocktoys

i have a outback ii and love it. other makers disassemble for easier cleaning. silencerresearcj and silencertalk offer great info.