The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old October 19, 2009, 08:51 PM   #1
Tacoma

What mags for AR-15 Service rifle

Thinking about heading out to a local NRA Service rifle Match in two weeks. I've got the Rifle ( DPMS CMP) and have read up on the course of fire but am unsure of what capacity and how many mags I need.
Any help appreciated.
Old October 19, 2009, 09:05 PM   #2
bcarver

course of fire

does it call for 10 rounds per stage? or 20.
Check the rules online. Some shoots require a reload regardless of your weapons capabilities.
Sorry I am not much help. Just some suggestions.
Old October 19, 2009, 09:20 PM   #3
bcarver

did a little reading

You are gonna need a minimum of 2 mags that hold atleast 5.
Rapid fire requires a mag change.
most strings are 10 rounds. some can be 20 but those ar 10 minute rounds so a mag change would be minimal time wise.
I would get two fives, two tens and two twenties unless you get a better answer.
Old October 20, 2009, 06:01 AM   #4
Tacoma

Thanks Gents, I already have 2 tens and 2 twenties so I gues I'm OK. I think I'll pick up a few more in this range just to make sure. Nothing worse than rushing to stuf magazines between rounds.

p.s. Any advantage over the 5's to the 10's?
Old October 20, 2009, 02:39 PM   #5
4EVERM-14

Under the strict reading of the rules Service rifles require the use of 20 or 30 rd magazines. Slow fire is loaded one round at a time. Rapid fire requires loading 2 rounds in the first mag and 8 rounds in the second mag unless the program states otherwise. 2 magazines would be the minimum to have. 4 magazines is better. I usually load 4 magazines with 8 rounds and have one or two which can be for whatever stage I'm approaching.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old October 20, 2009, 08:44 PM   #6
Tacoma

Ok thanks, I already have 2, 10's and a 20 so ordered 4 more 20's. Hopefully I'm good. Not sure I want to mess with single round loadign in slow fire but I'll deal with that when I gets there.
Thanks Much.
Old October 21, 2009, 10:29 AM   #7
azredhawk44

Quote:
Not sure I want to mess with single round loadign in slow fire but I'll deal with that when I gets there.
Those guys do it because they're shooting extra-long (longer than the magazine allows) cartridges that they've handloaded. They're shooting 80 or 90 grain Sierra HPBT matchkings (or even some other brand of VLD match bullets).

An AR magazine wants you to have a cartridge OAL of no more than 2.260".

80gr matchking loads from Hodgdon's website specify an OAL of 2.550".

These cartridges have to be single-loaded, and they give a performance advantage at long range shooting (if you are a good enough shooter that you can break position to load, get back into position and send the next bullet to the exact same place as the previous one) over the 55/62/69 grain more typical offerings.

Even the 77gr matchking (which can be loaded to 2.260") only has a ballistic coefficient of .362. The 80gr (which must be assembled too long for a magazine) has a BC of .420.

Just sayin', there's a distinct reason why those guys load long cartridges.
Old October 21, 2009, 02:49 PM   #8
4EVERM-14

"Not sure I want to mess with single round loadign in slow fire but I'll deal with that when I gets there.
Thanks Much."

Loading single rounds- With a magazine in place simply drop a cartridge in the ejection port, wiggle the rifle to get the round to move towards the chamber then hit the release. If you're going to a approved or registered match this will probably be required for the standing and slow prone phases. SLED[single load enhancement device] is a magazine with a 'U' shaped follower. Makes single loading a breeze. Enjoy the match. They're addictive.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old October 22, 2009, 09:11 PM   #9
Tacoma

Thanks again. I'll look for a sled.
Old October 23, 2009, 01:22 PM   #10
Tim R

Tacoma, You will use the SLED for 1/2 your match. It's used for offhand and slow prone. For the rapids I mark the 2 round mags so I know it's a 2 round mag. In the heat of the match I don't want to make a mistake and load a mag with 8 rounds first.

I would also buy good mags that always feed. I use Colt mags. Brownell's have good mags at a fair price. I always check my ammo before a match to make sure there are no long rounds to hang up in the mag and that they feed through the rifle.

Enjoy and good luck.

Last edited by Tim R; October 23, 2009 at 01:35 PM.