The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 8, 2007, 06:06 PM   #1
FeLiX84

pin will not come out

I have been trying to get the pin out all day... i am haven a hard time pushing the pin down and trying to hit it out any hints??? there is a little lock i have to push down at the same time
Old January 8, 2007, 08:25 PM   #2
pohill

It's like a baby being born - it will come out. It wants to come out.
First of all, make sure you're pushing it out the right way - from the right side.
Use a wooden dowel or something plastic that's about the same size, line it up, depress the spring tip, hit the dowel with a hammer.
Try backing the screw on the left side out.
You don't want to beat the crap out of it, but you can't really baby it, either. Pretend you're in the middle of a heated battle and you want to take out the empty cylinder and replace it with a loaded one...you'll get that wedge out somehow.
Old January 8, 2007, 11:53 PM   #3
Hafoc

oh, yeah, right, you're talking about a .44 percussion, getting the barrel wedge out?

You might have to loosen the screw on that catch you're talking about, or perhaps even remove it to get the wedge out the first time. If you can.
Old January 9, 2007, 09:54 AM   #4
FeLiX84

lol 2 more hours wasted i am thinkin i am going to have to scratch it
i dunno what else to do
Old January 9, 2007, 10:16 AM   #5
pohill

Lay the gun down on its left side, put something under it so when the wedge does pop out it won't hit the table. Put a wooden dowel on the tip of the wedge that is sticking out of the right side (or something plastic. I use a small screwdriver sometimes but I'm not worried about scratches). Whittle the dowel down to fit the wedge size if you have to. Depress the wedge spring with the dowel tip, and whack the other end of the dowel with a hammer, mallet, etc. It will come out.
Old January 9, 2007, 11:02 AM   #6
bjames

I just got a 1851 for Christmas and was surprised how much force was need to remove the wedge the first time. I ended up using an old drill bit that was broken. I cut it down to just having the smoothed round part of the bit, and one good hit popped the wedge out.

-Bryan