The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 13, 2012, 02:39 PM   #1
Gbro

Conclusion to; Hunter dies after his stand is pulled down...

This is a follow-up on a Closed thread from 2010,
http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...ight=mccormick

This link is at the start of the trial and has more detail of the crime,
Link
Quote:
evidence would show McCormick gave law enforcement authorities and others four different versions of how the tree stand fell to the ground.
As in any testimony, "TRUTH" is going to be Solid. I do believe there can be interpretations of the truth but the statements should be coherent.

The Hunter is convicted in the Deer Stand Death in this link.
Link
The defense tried to shift the seriousness of the fatal injury's to a second fall;
Quote:
shoot his firearm once, walk 100 yards through the woods and climb into a different tree stand later that day while suffering from eight broken ribs and a dislocated shoulder.
Well 8 broken ribs can be thought of as/or lead to a flail chest but in this case it appears to be cracks that presented to victim as pain. I was just involved with a snowmobile incident where the victim had 6 rib fractures and that wasn't his primary complaint until he was back-boarded. When in the supine position everything changed.
The speculation that the victim fell a second time from another stand causing the fatal injury didn't hold and even if he did fall a second time the 1st cause was still a criminal action.
Old March 13, 2012, 04:08 PM   #2
mapsjanhere

Thanks for the update.