The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 20, 2013, 01:39 AM   #1
ZVP

slugs and chokes?

I have a Stoger Highlander 20 ga side by side double barrel. It has removeable chokes marked with 3 and 4 dots. I don't know what this signifies as to the choke style?
Is it OK to fire Brenke slugs through this gun for home defense?
I also have 2 3/4" 20 ball #3 Buckshot shells for it (probablly a better choice).
Any suggestions or help on this topic?
Thanks ZVP
Old November 20, 2013, 04:05 AM   #2
Dreaming100Straight

Welcome to TFL. Is your gun possibly a Stoeger Uplander? I see on your other post that it is and you merely misspoke. Uplander Highlander what is the difference? The number of dots may mean:

1 - Full
2 - Improved Modified
3 - Modified
4 - Improved Cylinder
5 - Cylinder (or Skeet)

A sxs, it can be used for HD, but most would say that a long barrel gun is not the best choice nor is a two shot. Still some a double barrel for its simplicity. Slugs are a bit over the top for home defense. Read up on risks of overpenetration (shooting through a person or wall into an innocent). I am not HD expert, but #3 buck sounds like a better choice.

For HD I think your chokes are fine. I see that you want to have some fun shooting skeet. You can do it with what you have, but the modified is a bit tight although it can be used and some like to use it to smoke skeet targets. Later, if you really are into skeet you may want to pick up a skeet (5 dot) choke.
Old November 20, 2013, 08:09 AM   #3
BigD_in_FL

Dots, stars, dashes - all mean the same. Dreaming hit it right, IC/M and yes you can shoot slugs from it. Might not be accurate or might be - shooting targets will determine that
Old November 20, 2013, 12:33 PM   #4
Bake

Just remember, "The pattern board, is your friend". My guess, would be, that the #3 would be your "Best Bet", for HD...
Old November 21, 2013, 12:49 PM   #5
ZVP

Yes , it is a Stoger Uplaneder. I mistyped due to being tired...
Thanks to all for the answers and trying to teach me about those "dots" on the choke tubes!
Man that little 20 ga Double is a sweet gun! It is balanced nicely (just ahead of the hinge) and for me, points exactlly to where it's aimed and hits right there too!
Origonally I bought the gun with the idea of cutting it down for HD use but it was in such nice condition and shot so well that I couldn't touch it with a hacksaw! Glad I didn;t too
Back to the Slugs, now that I finally found some Buckshot for it I doubt it'll ever see a slug go down the bore.
Thanks again for the help!
ZVP