The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 27, 2007, 07:30 PM   #1
boogalou1

Cost to load cast boolits in rifles

I did some quick calculations, and conservatively speaking, I figure it costs about $11.00-15.00/50 to reload for centerfire rifles, depending on caliber/brass costs. I'm assuming $45/100 each for brass & bullets and having to replace the brass after 5 reloads.

Does this sound about right?
Old November 27, 2007, 11:15 PM   #2
elkaholic

I load for a couple pistols, and a couple rifles, but I am by no means an expert. If you look at the individual components for a .223 Rem it should break down like this.

1 lb. of powder is about $20, that's 7,000 grains, and at a 22.5 grain charge you should get 311 cartridges. That should equal about $0.064 per charge.

A box of 100 primers runs about $2.80, so about $0.028 per cartridge.

Brass runs anywhere from $15 to $21 per hundred for pistol and per fifty for rifle. Lets assume $20 per 50 for rifle so $0.40 per cartridge.

Bullets cost me $16.50 per 100 for the Hornady 55 gr. V-Max so that's $0.165 per cartridge.

All this should equal $0.657 per cartridge.

The other added benefit is that you get to work up the EXACT load for the firearm which equates to increased accuracy over factory ammo. I also get to look over every single case beforehand, and every single cartridge afterwards and am not relying on mass production quality control.

The biggest thing is the initial cost to get the press, scale, dies, etc to begin. If you already have that stuff, or access to it, you will find a personal satisfaction in shooting tight groups with ammo you built.

Good luck.
Old November 28, 2007, 01:12 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Don't you mean cast boolits in rhyphles?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.