The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 26, 2007, 07:24 PM   #1
Joeddox

Exotic Shotgun loads

Just wondering if anyone has done any exotic shotgun loads?

I was thinking of trying a bunch of wooden match heads in a 3" shell.
Also going to try a load of 1" flechettes in a 3" shell.
Old November 26, 2007, 09:43 PM   #2
Chilecop

NO!!!

That goes beyond the Safe and Sane practices of this forum, not to mention the probabilities of landing you in hot water with the Law!
Old November 27, 2007, 12:16 AM   #3
WNTFW

The only exotic thing I did was spreader wads. Not that exotic.
I always used loads posted in a reloading book. I would not clown around with anything on a shotgun reload. Same for rifle or pistol loads.

Something you never thought about could happen & result in injury, death, etc.

I wouldn't do it.
WNTFW
Old November 27, 2007, 12:24 AM   #4
crowbeaner

DO NOT PLAY AROUND WHEN LOADING SHOTSHELLS! They operate at hand grenade pressures, and touching off a pineapple 6 inches from your face is NOT a good idea! Follow the loads EXACTLY as shown in the reloading manual. NO modern shotgun is proofed as high as a rifle! BAAD JUJU! CB.
Old November 27, 2007, 01:09 AM   #5
Joeddox

Flechettes are legal where I live. Heck everything is legal here.

Crowbeaner how is it going to go off like a hand grenade? I'm not trying to be rude but I don't see a way of it setting itself off. It's not like I'm adding extra powder or anything.

I guess I shouldn't ask if you guys have done tracer loads...
Old November 27, 2007, 01:22 AM   #6
oldbillthundercheif

Match-heads light from friction. They could ignite while loading them if you packed them in too hard or ignite on their own at any time from rubbing against each other if you packed them in too loose.

If you want fire and such, you probably want to stick with the "dragon's breath" rounds. They are expensive and only somewhat entertaining, but they will probably not blow up before you pull the trigger.

Flechettes don't work worth a damn. The ones loaded backwards never stabilize, and even the ones loaded point-forward are too light to penetrate much. Also, unless the fins are perfectly formed (and they almost never are), they don't fly straight.

Save yourself a lot of headaches and avoid both ideas.
Old November 27, 2007, 01:46 AM   #7
Joeddox

Thanks oldbillthundercheif

At least some reasoning behind it. Well is there anything fun to load? Marbels? LOL jk
Old November 27, 2007, 01:58 AM   #8
oldcars

I have never seen them shot, but my aunt has 12ga rounds with rolls of dimes, and some kind of round with two lead balls with a wire between them. I don't think she has ever shot them(and hopefully never will)
Old November 27, 2007, 02:09 AM   #9
oldbillthundercheif

No problem. The match-heads would be entertaining, but just too damn dangerous.

Dimes: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot35.htm
-Safe (through a non-full choke, anyway), but not very effective.
Old November 27, 2007, 02:50 AM   #10
teeroux

i can see the head lines now MAN LIGHTS SELF ON FIRE LOADING MATCHSTICK HEADS INTO SHOT SHELLS

seriously though you could set them off and have it blow up in your face when you operate the press.
Old November 27, 2007, 09:52 AM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

Because of their thin metal barrels, shotguns are FAR less forgiving to bad loading practices than either handguns or rifles.

When I was in high school one of my classmate's younger brothers decided to try loading his own "special" dove loads.

When the left barrel let loose a piece of it removed a large portion of muscle and nerve from his left forearm. It was several years of intensive therapy before he do much with that hand.

Turns out his "special" dove loads had a standard charge of powder but nearly 2.5 ounces of shot. While the powder charge was fine the extra shot resulted in pressures far higher than what the tube could handle.

There was a recent discussion of flechettes here, maybe two or three months ago, not from a reloading standpoint but from a usability standpoint. Basic take is that flechettes are not all that effective. The military dropped them in short order after finding out that theory and practice didn't meet up in the jungles of Vietnam.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 27, 2007, 10:36 AM   #12
Edward429451

You want to load exotic SG loads? Gear up to load some slugs. Hardly anyone loads slugs so they are kind of exotic. Especially if you get foster slugs and the circle crimper. Midway has everything for slug loading.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Myoldleaddrainlines.jpg (67.7 KB, 27 views)
Old November 27, 2007, 11:22 AM   #13
JBriggs

Listen to these guys about playing around with fancy shotgun loads. I used to make up all sorts of loads. It took me several ruined shotguns to figure out that I should stick with normal run-of-the-mill loading data.
Things I loaded included marbles ( they do not work well), plastic bb's, rocks, dimes, and sand. (As to the sand, I thought it would be a great way to drive off annoying dogs. It just results in a big cloud of dust and a scoured barrel)