The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 14, 2007, 08:38 PM   #1
Fearlez

Primers. (308)

What have you used and what do you use now?

Please provide feedback on each type.
Old November 14, 2007, 09:55 PM   #2
boltgun71

I use CCI 200 Large Rifle primers and have never had a single issue or failure to fire with them. Accuracy has been outstanding.
Old November 14, 2007, 10:05 PM   #3
MDman

I use CCI benchrest, they have worked well for me. although I have never used anything else so I dont have anything to compare it too.
Old November 18, 2007, 09:17 PM   #4
kris&bela

I started using Federal match the very first time and never tried anything else.Never had any incident with it.
Old November 18, 2007, 11:06 PM   #5
Linear Thinker

Federal Match for bolt guns - there's no better primer if you want accuracy, but you shouldn't use them with some semi-autos, as they are very sensitive.
CCI 34 for semis with floating firing pins.
LT
Old November 21, 2007, 03:45 PM   #6
Thesenator

I've used Federal, CCI and Winchester. I've always returned to Winchester. They function better in the Dillon tubes and I've never had a single bad one ever.....and thats in almost 200,000 primers, both rifle and pistol.
Old November 21, 2007, 03:56 PM   #7
Wildalaska

What Linear Thinker said

WildhasanicestashAlaska ™
Old November 21, 2007, 03:58 PM   #8
Ozzieman

All primers are reliable but

I like Federal because for me they seem to go into the case much easier and smother.
I just find them easier to use and when you reload as much as I do it makes a difference.
Old November 21, 2007, 10:21 PM   #9
Wulfmann

I use just about anything I can get a deal on. (I reload for many guns including old military so can use odd things for some of those.)

I prefer Federal and Winchester in 308 (I have 4 308s) as in LR I can actually interchange them with no change where CCI and particularly Remington require starting from scratch.

Match primers are the pick of the litter of the same type.
That is Federal Match and regular 210 are the same primers with match more intense quality control for the match.
I do not know that CCI Bench Rest is the same as Federal in this regard.

I bought some old Federal 210 LR and one batch (500) had gotten wet and were oxidized. Believe it or not not one has failed.

CCI # 34 military are certainly harder but are also much hotter and using them as an alternative at the same load can cause serious over pressure.

When someone ask me at our Gun club I recommend Federal or Winchester as a start. They are more readily available and in all guns that use them I have noticed little between them. I see little point in paying extra for Fed match but if I competed I would to feel better but have doubts if it matters.

IMO

Wulfmann
Old November 22, 2007, 12:35 PM   #10
30Cal

I've gone through several thousand WLRs and an equal amount of Rem 9 1/2's (mostly M1A, the rest through an M1). The Rem's shoot a tiny (hard to measure) bit tighter.
Old November 22, 2007, 04:02 PM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've loaded the .308's older brother, the .300 Savage, with Federal and Winchester primers.

They go bang when I pull the trigger and the bullets print accurately. I'm happy.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.