The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 12, 2002, 06:35 AM   #1
what, another gun?

Lee Powder Measure / scale weight

Help... I'm new at this and am having a problem getting the Lee powder measure quanity of powder to come out the same as the weighed amount.
I'm using Bullseye for a .45 load of 5 grains. When I set the powder measure using the conversion factor of .1064 x 5 to set the powder measure, I'm getting a weighed amount of powder about half of the 5 grains I want.
What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions (short of quitting before I blow myself up) would be appreciated very much.
Tom R.
Old May 12, 2002, 08:12 AM   #2
Bacchus

I'm never able to use the conversion factor and get it right the first time, only close. You're not doing anything wrong.

First, there are directions for calibrating your powder. Go ahead and do that first. They are on the same sheet as the instructions for the scale itself.

I usually use the conversion factor as a guide, measure the powder, and then start adjusting the bar. It's very difficult to read because it's not marked clearly, so I just move it one complete rotation, measure the powder, and then keep adjusting as necessary.

Be patient, it might take 10 or so times before you get the exact charge you want.
Old May 12, 2002, 08:16 PM   #3
Jack O'Neal

I haven't had much luck with Bullseye out of my Lee powder measure either. Bullseye doesn't seem to have a consistent weight to volume ratio. with Bullseye my drop varied over .5 grains both ways. Just my nickels worth.
Old May 13, 2002, 12:15 PM   #4
Pigshooter

I do like bachus said. Just get it close and calibrate it by hand until it throws right.

I also use a consistent method of double-taps when I operate the throw bar, and it stays pretty consistent.
Old May 14, 2002, 09:20 AM   #5
Pigshooter

WAIT!

I thought about this last night.

Be very sure that you're scale is set up properly and zeroed precisely.

On the off-chance that it is not, you could end up double charging with Bullseye, which is a bad thing. Very bad thing.
Old May 14, 2002, 04:48 PM   #6
Yodar

Weighing Bullseye with lee auto disc?

Lee is a VOLUMETRIC powdermeasure. ALL powdermeasure dispense powder VOLUMETRICALLY.

It's NOT the powder measure that's giving the trouble, it's the powder's behavior amongst all that PLASTIC Bullseye isnt the most dense powder and the flake powders are affected by static. Sometimes choosing a different coarser or denser powder is the answer. Sometimes a longer dump tube kinda equals everything out, throw to throw.

Try to neutralize static with a swabbing of the disc-cavities and hopper with a anti-static laundry sheet (BOUNCE?) if that fails, change powders.

Furthermore, If you apply a good understanding of DENSITY you can get predictable weight measurements from the FIXED VOLUME CAVITIES of the Lee powder measure.

When I had MINE, I used Accurate brand powders because they published the density of the powder in their specs.

Density = grams per cubic centimeter volume D=g/cc

You KNOW the volume of the Lee disc- cavity eg.: 1.54 cc

You KNOW the density of the powder youre using. 0.998 g/cc

SOLVE the equation for grams...then convert grams to grains

OH? You DON't know the density of the powder youre using Cause the sneakey manufacturer doesnt reveal it? Simply pour a sample of the powder into a KNOWN volume-container and weigh it, and again solve for density grams of powder divided by volume in cc of space it occupies = grams/cc or density

I learned how to convert grams to Grains and applied that multiplier and made a grains table for each of my cavities and had a grains table for for each of my powder varieties

Believe it or NOT, the VMD "monkeyshines" Lee tries to get you to do, does the same thing, without any attempt to help you UNDERSTAND it.

I used the Lee autodisc pro for several years and with my checking weights and the micrometer dial accessory I was able to add tiny shave at a time to any cavity's volume to get the dump-weight I desired.

My only complaint with that measure was with finer ball powders (AA # 9) they leaked!

Yodar
Old May 15, 2002, 11:03 AM   #7
Pigshooter

Yodar,

I am pretty sure he is talking about the Lee Perfect Powder Measure, not the autodisk.

This one has a variable piston assembly that allows you to set the measure for any volume you want. You double check using a scale. And it comes with volume/grain reference for most powders on the market.

Good advice otherwise though. I find that alliant powders behave well in mine, while AA's leak like you describe.
Old May 15, 2002, 11:05 AM   #8
Pigshooter

Also, in case you didn't know it, Lee has a doublestack assembly for their autodisk to allow two chambers to be used together, and they have an adjustable cavity so you can avoid "customizing" your fixed cavity blocks.
Old May 15, 2002, 04:13 PM   #9
what, another gun?

many thanks...

Thanks for all the help on this...I've been out of town for several days and really appreciate all of the advice.
I'll take it all into consideration when I get back to it this weekend...will let you know how it works out. By the way, it is the Lee 'Perfect Powder Measure".
Tom
Old May 19, 2002, 06:43 PM   #10
what, another gun?

success!

Thanks for all the advice. I made up about 20 rounds yesterday and today, a few 5 gr and a few 4 gr and took them to the range this afternoon.
They all cycled and functioned perfectly in my Colt Commander. I could tell the difference between 4 and 5 gr.... Good group and I was able to recover most of the spent shells.
This was my first batch and it's incredibly rewarding to shoot your own (and have them work) rather than the 'expensive' factory ammo. Back now to the bench.... By the way, the Lee Factory Crimp Die sure made a difference in the quality of the crimp.
Tom