The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 28, 2007, 02:07 PM   #1
3gunfreak

Sorting Cases

Just a census question.

I was in a gun show a couple of weeks ago and I ran across a good deal on cases. They were once fired Police Range cases. The brands range between Federal, Speer and Winchester. My question is should I separate them(as I am inspecting them) and load them in lots together or does it matter (granted everything is uniform and within tolerances O.A.L., weight and diameter)? I am a short time loader and my previous batches all have been small and all the cases matched.

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by 3gunfreak; November 28, 2007 at 02:10 PM. Reason: added "Thanks for the advice."
Old November 28, 2007, 02:21 PM   #2
Shoney

You did not list the cartridge you are loading.

Presuming you have pistol cases, I have found no difference mixing vs same brand in 9mm, 40SW and 45ACP.

If you are talking about rifle cases, then I sort them.

Good Shooting!!!!!!!
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old November 28, 2007, 02:33 PM   #3
3gunfreak

Apologies..... .40 cal

I do plan on getting into .223 later though.

Thanks
Old November 28, 2007, 02:51 PM   #4
Shoney

I once loaded 40SW in the same load in 500 Speer, 500 WW, 500 Federal, and 500 Rem cases. Just for git and shiggles, I loaded up 500 of mixed cases, including those brands above with 3 or 4 more other brands as well.

Over a 2 month period, I shot them at individual targets @ 25 yrds, 100 rounds at each target. I couldn't tell any difference when i evaluated the targets.

On the 223, if you are loading mass semi-auto plinking loads, no need to sort. If you want target accuracy, then sort.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old November 28, 2007, 02:58 PM   #5
The Tourist

I would say that most--and I mean +75%--of my brass collection is "range scrounged."

(The remaining brass are 22-250 that I bought for varmints because I thought that it couldn't hurt taking +400 yard shots.)

I take good care of my brass, I polish it, check for head separation, measure length to spec, champfer and straighten case necks, etc., but other than that, it get's bunched together in any big container I can find.

If it's a good day, if I have a quality pistol, if my asthma meds aren't making my hand tremble, and if I can keep visions of Jessica Biel out of my head, I have no problem chewing the ten-ring with junk brass.

Then again, I've had such lousy days that Terry Tussey himself calls me to demand his pistol back...
Old November 28, 2007, 04:59 PM   #6
3gunfreak

Thanks a lot fella's. Appreciate the info!!

Oh yeah Visions of Jessica Biel ......... If she ever ends up on the cover of a Dillon catalog, life will be complete.

.........maybe I'll start a petition.