The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 11, 2011, 01:05 PM   #1
sltm1

Civil War, Indian War's Remington !!!!

been eyeballin' this shooter for a couple of month's now. The price came down far enough where I could get it. It's been rode hard & put away wet, broken, fixed, used and abused, neutered from a 44 down to a 38 and converted to cartridge. You just don't find much more history in a 2.5 lb package!!! Hardcase, this is the one off zidaho. If anyone could date this from the serial #, or add anyoythe info I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Old June 11, 2011, 04:24 PM   #2
Hardcase

I'm glad you got it! I saw the price come down and was thinking about it but I was afraid my wife would use it on me. Even with all the work done it's a great example of the period.
Old June 11, 2011, 06:18 PM   #3
sltm1

I spent some of my hay money (for my horses), on it, Hi-Ho-Hi-Ho, it's back to work I go LOL.
Old June 11, 2011, 06:57 PM   #4
bedbugbilly

Man . . that is one UGLY hunk of scrap metal! I wish it was residing at my house however! A neat and interesting piece to say the least - congrats on your purchase! It's summer now, the grass and hay are growing - your horses will have enough to eat! I'm assuming that at some point, you're going to shoot this . . that's a statement not a question. Let us all know how it goes! Thanks for sharing - awesome photos, awesom shooting iron . . . it sure has a lot of "character"!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old June 11, 2011, 07:16 PM   #5
Hawg

I like it. There used to be a web site to date Remingtons by serial number but none that I know of now.
Old June 14, 2011, 07:45 AM   #6
Swede68

I know of no online source of manufacturing dates for Remingtons. I have however compiled a small list of my own. The gun would have been made late in 1863.

The barrel has obviously been replaced, and the triggerguard has been repaired. The cylinder may be the original to the gun, which has been reworked into a cartridge cylinder (but it may also be a replacement).

All changes seem to be of the period (I would guess 1870´s up to the 1890´s).

If the price was right, then it´s a very nice piece of history, congratulations.

Best regards!
Anders Olsson
Old June 14, 2011, 09:08 AM   #7
sltm1

The price was very right. Here's a pic of what the display will look like when finished.
Old June 14, 2011, 09:09 AM   #8
sltm1

And thanks for the info Anders !!
Old June 14, 2011, 02:13 PM   #9
Swede68

You´re very welcome!
Hey, nice little collection you have there, very nice!

Best regards!
Anders Olsson
Old June 14, 2011, 07:09 PM   #10
sltm1

Thanks Anders. My wife did the beadwork and the knife and hawk are my throwing (competition pieces). I'll have to make another set for the display. Can I offer you a hawk? Hell yes I'm not to proud to solicit business at any turn. Being a blacksmith might be the world's 2nd oldest profession, but the solicitation part is as important as it is with the world's 1st oldest profession LOL!
Old June 15, 2011, 05:48 AM   #11
Swede68

Hey, I´m in sales, marketing and SHRM, if you ask me, being a blacksmith is a real profession, soliciting new business is just one of the activities needed to stay in business, regardless of what that business is.

So you´ll get no protests from me for soliciting. However, I will have to decline the offer for a Tomahawk, I´d just hurt myself if I started throwing such an object around. A pistol or revolver is only dangerous at one end, which end is preferrably pointed away from my person!

But out of curiosity, what would one cost?

Best Regards!
Anders Olsson
Old June 15, 2011, 10:04 PM   #12
sltm1

Anders, for one like mine I charge $125.00. Takes between 7 and 9 hours to make. I use old heavy ball pein hammers and "readjust" them.