The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 8, 2010, 07:57 PM   #1
McPhee

"Antique" cap tin

I bought a display case for one of my bp pistols. I put in the pistol, wads, balls and a powder flask. I would like to add a "antique" looking container for caps. I have seen some in pictures on various BP forums that look good.

I don't want to pay an arm and leg for a genuine tin, just something to look old. I thought about taking a new cap container and trying to make it look old.

Any ideas?
Old December 8, 2010, 08:05 PM   #2
Pahoo

Can you be more specific by showing us a picture. I ask because I might have some. Most are for #11 but come are Musket. I just picked these up along the way. Caps are not included.

Be Safe !!!
Old December 8, 2010, 08:17 PM   #3
McPhee

Something like this

These images show what I wanted to find or make for a container.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BPcap1.jpg (15.7 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg BPcap2.jpg (40.9 KB, 78 views)
Old December 8, 2010, 09:08 PM   #4
zippy13

How about weathering a CCI tin and then adding a matching little nob/pull to the lid?
Old December 8, 2010, 10:04 PM   #5
Hardy

What about the colt 2n'd 3rd gen w/ green label that came with them. Of course they aren't tin or old. just a suggestion
Old December 8, 2010, 11:18 PM   #6
Hardcase

Try scrubbing all the finish off of a modern tin, then paint it with some shellac with a little lamp black mixed in. Once it dries, get after it a bit with some fine sandpaper around the edges - not much, just a little brush to thin the finish a little.

You'll end up with something that looks like a tin box that's been around for a hundred and fifty years old or so.
Old December 8, 2010, 11:46 PM   #7
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Try scrubbing all the finish off of a modern tin, then paint it with some shellac with a little lamp black mixed in. Once it dries, get after it a bit with some fine sandpaper around the edges - not much, just a little brush to thin the finish a little.

You'll end up with something that looks like a tin box that's been around for a hundred and fifty years old or so.
You dont have to go that far. Just get out you handy dandy propane torch and burn the paint off. It'll look like a 100 year old cap tin in about 5 minutes. You can then paste a repro label offn your printer on the top.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old December 9, 2010, 04:11 AM   #8
zippy13

Quote:
…get out your handy dandy propane torch and burn the paint off. It'll look like a 100 year old cap tin in about 5 minutes.
That's a lot easier that the acid dip I was thinking about for a weathered look, thanks Fingers.
Old December 9, 2010, 08:05 AM   #9
junkman_01

Make sure you take the caps out of it BEFORE applying the torch!
Old December 9, 2010, 08:21 AM   #10
Missoura Don

Hey Fingers...I been lookin up old forums tryin to find those print outs...Any idea where I might find em?....thanks
Old December 9, 2010, 08:32 AM   #11
madcratebuilder

McGee's method works very well indeed.

I think this shop sells repro tins that look pretty good, they can be aged and look great.

http://www.blockaderunner.com/

You can find originals on evil bay, I haven't check prices for a while, at one time they were under $20, probably not anymore.

This is a salesman's sample

Some I've picked up off evil bay.

repro cap tin
Old December 9, 2010, 09:20 AM   #12
McPhee

Great ideas

Great ideas....I have several new "tins" and will try the torch technique first. Buying one is an option but after having two bad experiences with Evil Bay I think I would pass on that one.

Thanks to all that responded
Old December 9, 2010, 09:20 AM   #13
Rifleman1776

Reproductions like the one in your second picture are available from Ted Cash company. http://www.tdcmfg.com/

madcratebuilder: Great collection.
Old December 9, 2010, 01:19 PM   #14
Fingers McGee

Try these for labels:

http://www.dbappdev.com/vpp/PeriodLabels/amolabels.htm

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=275301

http://www.peterdyson.co.uk/acatalog/CAP_TINS.html

http://www.flintlockguns.talktalk.ne...e%20labels.htm

http://www.peterdyson.co.uk/acatalog...CESSORIES.html

There are loads of them out there

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old December 9, 2010, 02:48 PM   #15
mrappe

TO: OP

Where did you get the display box?
Old December 10, 2010, 07:44 PM   #16
McPhee

Worked like a charm

I used a torch as Fingers suggested. And found the labels from the links he provided. Worked like a charm. I used the torch on a CCI tin and a bit of steel wool.

Thanks, Fingers as well as all of the others who provided suggestions. Great forum to learn from.

Old December 10, 2010, 10:51 PM   #17
4V50 Gary
Staff

I also learn a lot from you guys. Thanks.
Old December 10, 2010, 11:49 PM   #18
Fingers McGee

Glad to be of service McPhee. Your new 'antique' cap tin looks great. Now you need a bullet mold to complete the set.

FM
Old December 11, 2010, 02:25 AM   #19
zippy13

McFee,
Looks great! You used the same label I downloaded. Next, to complete the illusion, find a quill and letter a 10 in the blank space provided.