The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 4, 2013, 09:46 PM   #1
Live45

WooHoo....today I scored some supplies!!!

After scouring the internet for weeks and calling every mom & pop shop within 100 miles I finally was able to buy 1000 lg pistol primers and 200ea 230 FMJ .45 bullets. I went to a small gun show near my home 2 weeks ago and was disappointed to not find any primers or bullets there. But I did get the name and location of a small shop that specializes in reloading that is about 50 miles from my home. Went there today and it was like walking into an oasis after crossing the dessert. There before my eyes were 230 FMJ .45"s, 185 HP's, lead bullets of every shape and caliber, a large locker filled with all sizes of primers, powder, dies, presses, the list goes on and on. The only drawback was the proprietor would only allow the purchase of 1000 primers and 200 bullets per visit. I can understand that. The man wants to be able to provide for his regular customers as well as people like me swooping in to take advantage of his inventory. Now all I can do is sit and wait for the .45 dies I ordered from Natchezss nearly 2 weeks ago to arrive. Lets hope these shortages end soon.
Old February 6, 2013, 01:33 PM   #2
gundog5

Sounds like a real honey hole. It is to bad it's 50 miles away. My little hidden jem is just 2 miles away. I was recently told that the 500 plus bricks of 22lr would not be on shelves for a long time. My little store had 10 bricks on the shelves.
Old February 6, 2013, 05:20 PM   #3
TheNatureBoy

Good for you. During the last drought (2008) I was able to purchase reloading components by doing the same thing. Hit every one I could between Wv, Va, and NC. If it wasn't for the little out of the way shops that no one paid any attention to I would not have been able to go to the range as much as I did.
Old February 6, 2013, 05:32 PM   #4
603Country

I went to my usual reloader supply place (also a pawn shop) in rural Texas and asked for and got two boxes of 22 caliber Nosler Partitions and two boxes of 260 Rem BT's in 100 grain. Their bullet shelves appeared completely stocked. They were low on powder but had quite a few pound bottles left of Winchester powders and Reloader 22, and they had W-231 and Unique. I didn't ask about primers. They were out of brass, but don't normally carry much brass anyway. I...uhhh...can't remember exactly where that place is...cause I'm not through shopping. After I'm through, I might remember.