The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 26, 2009, 09:25 PM   #1
glockster157

Finish on SKS?

I traded for a Russian SKS today. It is in the original wood, but it looks like someone spray painted the metal with Krylon black paint or something. I am not sure what the original metal finish was on these, it is marked 1954r on the receiver, was imported by KBI. The paint is flaking off, I got most of it off the barrel and gas tube with a fine ss wire brush, so a soaking in acetone should get the rest. Under the paint it is gray, not sure if it is some kind of bluing as it does not look like parkerizing. It looks like a thin bluing but more grayish.

My question about that is, is that the original finish. I can get pics tomorrow. If not I think I will try Duracoat or have it parkerized. Or I could try one of those bake on finishes from Brownells?
For the law was given through Moses but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. John 1:17

Last edited by glockster157; January 26, 2009 at 09:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old January 29, 2009, 05:11 PM   #2
woad_yurt

Those Russian ones are climbing in value these days. If you put any other than the correct finish on it, the dollar value of the gun will probably be halved.
Old January 30, 2009, 01:03 AM   #3
Scorch

Probably the original finish. Many of the originals were lacquered. If you want to refinish, do the Brownells Bake-On finish.
Old January 30, 2009, 08:17 AM   #4
glockster157

Here are those pics.

[IMG][/IMG] IMG][/IMG]

I think the Gun Kote may be the way to go.
For the law was given through Moses but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. John 1:17
Old January 31, 2009, 12:38 AM   #5
boatmonkey82

i have a norinco , looked like it had been in a truck bed for a few years , so i did the unthinkable - sanded and painted flat black baby ! hey its a cheap sks with a 30.00 folding stock and a promag 30rnd clip :barf: but it shoots a nice flame and is dead on at a far but wont hit the side of the barn . shake -n- shoot