The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 30, 2014, 05:13 PM   #1
cajundefender

Bought a used Mossberg 590 and wants to replace parts

Hello. I just bought a Mossberg 590A1 used. It was a police trade in. It's in pretty good condition aside from nicks from patrol use, some scratched paint from repeated cycling, and minor rust and slight pitting towards the chamber end of the barrel. Overall, nice buy for $350 shipped and FFL. Still, I want to replace any parts that get quickly worn out, but I'm not sure what those parts are. I know the magazine spring needs to be replaced but do you think there is anything else that will need replacing anytime soon? Also, how many shells do you think a 590A1 can send down range before it needs to be retired from use? I expect at least 500 shells before I need a new shotgun, but I'll be willing to add more upgrades and new parts if you think it will last longer. Wouldn't it last a couple thousand more shells with proper care? I intend on firing around 200 shells a year and the shotgun, just like with my rifles, pistols, and revolvers, will receive monthly inspections and oiling, quarterly complete cleaning even when not used, and some new parts after every round benchmark, so I'm hoping that I can fire a couple thousand more shells before it would be more efficient to just buy a new shotgun. By the way, I am looking at Wolff springs for the tube magazine and I need suggestions for anything else you think will need to be replaced anytime soon. Thanks.
Old August 30, 2014, 05:49 PM   #2
amd6547

My Mossberg 500 was already a beat looking, well used example when I pulled It out of a pile of similar beat riot guns that were surplus security company guns.
I paid $75 20yrs ago.
Over the years, all I have replaced on it has been cosmetic, as I tried various stocks. Nothing ever broke in all those years, and it had the original mag spring in it until about two years ago. Last year, it started having failure to ejects...turned out the screw which fastens the ejector had loosened. I tightened it down with locktite, and now it works again.
Currently, I have the Hogue overmold stock and forend installed. I really like the grippy feel of the forend, and I have the short LOP Buttstock on it. With my 18" barrel, it makes for a short package.
Old August 30, 2014, 09:05 PM   #3
Blindstitch

Look for parts at Numrich Gun Parts Company online.

As for the gun you should be able to get thousands of rounds out of it if you leave it as is.

200 rounds is nothing, 2,000 rounds is nothing.

Look on Youtube for a video how to take it apart, takes about 5 minutes, clean all the dust/dirt/other stuff out of it and inspect parts. As long as the extractors are fine and the firing pin moves you should be good to go.

It's a simple shotgun and very dependable.
Old August 31, 2014, 05:47 PM   #4
g.willikers

Is joke, yes?
That shotgun will probably outlast you.
Just shoot the danged thing.
If something actually does break, then worry about it.
Or let your grand kids worry about it.

Tags
mossberg 590a1 , new parts , tactical , used shotgun