The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old October 4, 2001, 10:12 AM   #1
mpthole

Member Status

I'd like to suggest a change to the member statuses. Currently, I think there are Junior Member, Member and Senior Member. It seems that the number of posts required to make each level are a little skewed although I don't know what those numbers are...

Take me as an example. I've got in the neighborhood of 140 posts and I'm already a senior member. There are others on the board who have in the thousands of posts and are still "only" senior members.

How about changing the number of posts required to make each level or having a new class of membership - "Executive Member" or something like that for the very frequent contributors. It seems like the most of the very frequent post'ers are the "core" members, helpful, articulate and well spoken.

What do ya think?
Old October 4, 2001, 03:37 PM   #2
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

Here's the breakdown of member status:

0-14 posts = Junior Member
15-99 posts = Member
100+ posts = Senior Member

You are quite right that most of the "very frequent post'ers are the 'core' members, helpful, articulate and well spoken."

I like to think that those qualities are more important than sheer quantity of posts. There are a few "junior members" on TFL whose words I respect more than some with thousands.

Anyone can post a lot, but only a few can post well.
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10
Old October 4, 2001, 04:16 PM   #3
PreserveFreedom

Quote:
Anyone can post a lot, but only a few can post well.
Guilty as charged.

Old October 4, 2001, 06:42 PM   #4
RobW

What's the big deal with it? I don't care if I'm called a Baby- or Methusalem member. Do you switch off your brains when you read something from a "senior member"?

What counts here is that the people in this forum provide their thoughts, experiences, and knowledges. I don't care if they are green, red, blue, white, yellow, orange or "juniors or seniors".

"Titles" are meaningless, the input is important.
Old October 4, 2001, 08:27 PM   #5
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

Hey PreserveFreedom...

... you're one of the ones I was talking about!
Quote:
Originally posted by PreserveFreedom:
Guilty as charged.
You do both!

-Dave
Old October 4, 2001, 08:35 PM   #6
PreserveFreedom

All that matters is that I just snagged two more posts in this thread.

Old July 10, 2005, 08:27 PM   #7
Shredder

Thanks for the breakdown.

Shredder
-Executive Senior Member
Old July 11, 2005, 07:34 PM   #8
missourigunner

member status

Guilty as charged. I should post more intelligent posts than some of those I do. Again though, I really don't care if I am a baby or senior member.
Old July 24, 2005, 01:16 PM   #9
USP45usp

Heck, the way I look at it, I'm just glad to be a member .

I have noticed that many of the "senior members" have changed over time. When "brand new" you get the posts/questions that everyone just kind of rolls their eyes but answer the question(s) that have been asked since the invent of the internet gun boards with great civility and knowledge.

As the member grows and knowledge expands, the questions, general posts, and answers have become more specific and detailed to things that they have knowledge, can contribute to, or put in relevent .02. That on threads/posts/questions that they aren't all too sure about, they tend to just read, maybe do some private research, and then answer if what they have to say hasn't been covered or written.

It's interesting IMHO to watch as the post count goes up on a member the way that the member (most of the times) "grows".

But then again, I do sometimes just reply to a post just to hear myself talk (I try not to make that a habit like I did when I was a "young" member.

Wayne
Old July 24, 2005, 01:44 PM   #10
Wildalaska

By the time I reach super sized post counts they are ready to toss me off

WildtheshotmesseangerAlaska