The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 20, 2016, 03:33 PM   #1
ARSG12

Scope for .22 question

The only rifle I've bought a scope for so far was for my 10/22 rifle, which is just a .22, so I figured it wouldn't need anything fancy. I had found a cheap Tasco scope that was just $10 at Gander Mountain, and it looked like all I needed. I think it was this one: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tasco-Rim...Scope/16767721

I say, "I think" because I don't have it anymore. I'll get to that in a second. First, I'd like to point out that it worked fine for me. I was able to hit within an inch at 50 yards, and then my shots dropped a few inches at 75 yards, but the shots were still in a nice group, meaning I could still see well enough with it to hit at that range. So what more would I need? It seemed like plenty for my purposes. But then it suddenly started losing its zero in a big way, shooting about a foot too low even at 25 yards. I never bumped it or anything, so I have no idea why this happened. Trying to correct it accomplished nothing. Turning the adjustment screws no longer made any difference. I ended up tossing it. Now I'm scopeless.

I've asked about scopes as a result of this on other boards and was told that a decent scope would cost around $150 at minimum. That may sound right if recoil is a concern, but that's not the case when using it on a .22 rifle. But from my experience, it seems that a scope can not only lose its zero, but it simply can become nonfunctional for no reason at all.

So now I'd like to get me another scope. I could see spending $30 or $40 for one. Those who say I need to spend at least $150 might laugh at that, but do scopes that cost only $30 or $40 lose their zero and their ability to be adjusted when used on a .22 rifle even if they're never bumped? Are they really that delicate?
Old October 20, 2016, 05:04 PM   #2
aarondhgraham

I've had good performance from Simmons scopes,,,

I've had good performance from Simmons scopes,,,
In fact I recently put a 3 x 9 x 32 on a Savage Mk-II F.

It retails for $39.95 at Academy Sports,,,
I got mine on sale for 40% off.

They also have a Simmons 4x scope for $24.95,,,
In case you just want a fixed magnification.

I have a Leupold scope that retailed for around $200.00.

I have to admit, at longer ranges, the glass is noticeably clearer,,,
But the image truly isn't all that different under 100 yards,,,
At least, I can't tell any difference close up.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old October 20, 2016, 05:30 PM   #3
Targa

I agree with aarond, now that I think about it, he might have been the one who steered me in the direction of a Simmons for my Marlin 60. I have been very happy with it.
Old October 20, 2016, 08:37 PM   #4
jmhyer

Ditto the above. This one has been great for me:

https://www.amazon.com/Simmons-51103.../dp/B000KOSB34
Old October 20, 2016, 10:16 PM   #5
danez71

I agree with the others. I currently have 2 now, an older Simmons on my early 80s 1022 and a newer one 3-9x32 on my Takedown 1022. I had a 3rd of the same but sold it along with the ruger American rimfirecentral it was on.

I will say the ring mounts the 3-9x32 were junk. The were out of spec or something and I didn't feel they were good to use so I bought some cheapish UTG quick release mounts for about 25. The non quick release UTG I would think would be fine too and are 12 the price.
Old October 20, 2016, 10:43 PM   #6
Targa

I agree about the ring mounts, if you pick up this Simmons OP throw them in the trash and get something else. I was warned about the mounts but blew it off, sure enough, first day at the range and the scope fell off the rifle.
Old October 21, 2016, 02:06 AM   #7
bamaranger

drawer full

I've got a drawer full of cheaper scopes, that I bought when it was all that I could spare, or that came on trades, and so on. Mostly Tascos, Bushnells, maybe a Simmons or two. Most of these were bought in the late 80's, early 90's. Now my working .22's both wear .22 Leupold's.

Those defunct scopes were not abused, but saw steady use, I tried to shoot daily,and certainly they saw a 50 count box a week. They rode in my 4WD (usually cased, sometimes not) in the back of a patrol car ( against policy) trunk in old trunk lid clips, and went for regular walks around my place and in local woodlands. They were mounted on a 10/22 and an old Remington Fieldmaster pump. On most of them, the reticle separated. A couple had wandering zeros. One of the Tascos has rattling internals though it seemed to hold zero, but......sometimes a shot went south for no apparent reason. The two Leupold's a 4x and a 2-7x, display no such problems, though both live similar lives. (.22's are more costly, but the rifles still get around).

I read about more affordable scopes holding up, and some firms, like Bushnell, may well have improved their quality since those days. But I firmly believe the likelihood of buying once and being happy, go way up with the Leupolds.

Oh yeah, one of my gripes is that most folks over scope the Ruger 10/22 standard model, which is essentially a carbine. One inch tube of course, but any objective bell should be no larger than about 32mm. A 40mm belled variable on a 10/22 looks awkward, sets too high, and is plain ugly on the tidy Ruger carbine. The heavy barrel target models are another story.
Old October 21, 2016, 02:41 AM   #8
AzShooter

Bushnell is good. They have a no bull lifetime guarantee. Good glass and a wide variety to choose from.
Old October 21, 2016, 02:15 PM   #9
Pathfinder45

Just a 22....

Not to start another, "Done with", thing, but I have no tolerance for cheapo scopes. And I can't afford expensive scopes either. While I prefer a Marlin over the Ruger 10-22, I will say this about that Ruger: It's not, "just a 22". Those have built a solid reputation for ruggedness and reliability for decades. The basic carbine configuration can take a lot of hard knocks and makes a good truck-gun or backwoods survival gun. It deserves a scope that can take as much of a beating as the gun can. Of the rimfire scopes, only the best are good enough, but I would recommend a centerfire scope. Financially restricted, like me? I did this: For my Marlin model 99M1, I looked around at the gunshows for an older Weaver K-4 steel scope that was still in good condition. I can't think of a more rugged scope. I found a decent one for $50. Then I found a set of solid steel, 1" rings configured for the grooved receiver for my Marlin, which I had to give $20 for, but they were exactly right for the job. The whole rifle and scope package as assembled is as tight and rugged as can be. I don't care that the scope is older, or that there is so much better glass nowadays. I just want the most rugged and reliable outfit a 22 rifle can have within my means. It's been working well for years now and has never fogged up in the field.
Old October 21, 2016, 02:43 PM   #10
ARSG12

Quote:
I just want the most rugged and reliable outfit a 22 rifle can have within my means.
I don't mind having one that's not rugged and can't take much abuse. I'm pretty gentle with my guns, so I don't need it to be able to take a lot of hard knocks. That's why I was surprised that my previous scope failed without even being bumped. It was just a $10 scope and it failed on me. I just would like to know that I shouldn't have to accept that happening in a $30 or $40 scope. I certainly won't be going all out for a Leopold or anything like that. I just want one that won't suddenly fail for no reason.

Last edited by ARSG12; October 21, 2016 at 02:58 PM.
Old October 21, 2016, 04:01 PM   #11
danez71

Things happen but experiencing that failure shouldn't be expected.

The Simmons on my early 80s 10/22 is over 30 yrs old and has survive dozens of camping trips. Im pretty careful but bumps are inevitable with the #'s I'm talking.

I'm not a Simmons fan boy by any means either. Of course there bis better but I think they're are several $50 scopes that are decent... it just depens on what you want and are expecting.
Old October 21, 2016, 05:11 PM   #12
ARSG12

Quote:
Of course there bis better but I think they're are several $50 scopes that are decent... it just depens on what you want and are expecting.
I just expect that I'll be able to see the target well enough at 50-75 yards to be able to hit it accurately. My $10 could do that easily. Oh, and it was a 4x20 rather than a 4x15 like I said in my OP. I'd still have that one if only it didn't just suddenly die on me.
Old October 21, 2016, 07:27 PM   #13
Pathfinder45

Quote:
It was just a $10 scope and it failed on me.
I'm not at all surprised it failed. In fact, I would expect it to do so with a near certainty. That scope in the picture is no better than a toy. Respect your rifle better with a decent scope or just use the open sights it probably came with. You also said this:
Quote:
I don't mind having one that's not rugged and can't take much abuse.
That's like saying that you prefer unreliable junk over a quality product. And I don't think that's true. The real problem is that you expected something to be good enough at an impossibly low price point. You can certainly buy a much better scope that will likely be, "good enough", for $39.95. But don't be deceived about it; it won't be the equal of another one that costs twice as much. I don't abuse my equipment either. But I want it to be able to take some strain so that I can have some confidence that it won't let me down in real life. It doesn't have to be, "expensive", but on the other hand, it can never be cheap. So prepare yourself to pay for a better scope, or prepare to be disappointed again.
Old October 22, 2016, 06:32 AM   #14
SJCbklyn

I would just buy a Nikon rimfire prostaff.
Old October 22, 2016, 06:38 AM   #15
jmr40

Can a $30-$40 scope work on a 22, probably yes. But once you try a better scope you'll quickly throw the $40 scope in the trash and never go back.
Old October 22, 2016, 12:18 PM   #16
shortstop14

Simmons does make good scopes at a reasonble price. I have a Simmons 8 point that has pulled duy on a Rem. 742 .30-06 as well as my Ruger 77/22. It has performed exceptionally well on both and, will most likely be on the .22 until I'm gone. It sells for about &70.00. All my rifles, at one time, were topped with Simmons until about 10 years ago. Went with the Vortex Diamondback 4-12 and have been placing or replacing on all my other rifles since. They go for about 200.00(give or take a ferw bucks).
Old October 22, 2016, 02:21 PM   #17
22-rimfire

Quote:
....which is just a .22, so I figured it wouldn't need anything fancy.
This reasoning is where you have gone wrong from day one. You will probably shoot that 22 rifle more than any other rifle you own. So, consider a moderately better scope.

Quote:
So now I'd like to get me another scope. I could see spending $30 or $40 for one. Those who say I need to spend at least $150 might laugh at that, but do scopes that cost only $30 or $40 lose their zero and their ability to be adjusted when used on a .22 rifle even if they're never bumped? Are they really that delicate?
That was essentially a BB gun scope. Laugh all you want to about scope pricing, but you generally get what you pay for. Many really cheap scopes loose their zero for seemingly no reason at all.

Quote:
Can a $30-$40 scope work on a 22, probably yes. But once you try a better scope you'll quickly throw the $40 scope in the trash and never go back.
That has been my experience as well. But I pretty much refuse to spend more than about $200 on a scope for a sporter 22. Bench rest 22, sure.

The Simmons line is the low end Weaver scope line. I like the rimfire Weavers for 22's A LOT. They are my favorite for normal powered scopes for 22 rifles.

The 4x Weaver rimfire scope is pretty low priced and very good. But my favorite is probably the 2.5-7x. Have the 3-9X AO on several 22's also. The 2.5-7x would make a fine scope for the 10/22, but it costs a bit.

If you are set on price or price range, I would mostly look at the Simmons line. I have a Tasco 4x (1" tube) mounted on a 22 rifle that has never given me any problems. I'm not real rough on my 22's. I tend to scope them when the rifle is new to me and leave them that way and just buy another rifle, repeat, repeat....
Old October 22, 2016, 03:42 PM   #18
lefteye

When I spent the money to buy a Ruger 77/22 many years ago I felt it was worth it to buy a Leupold Variable .22 scope. Both were pricey then. The rifle lists for $979 today.
Old October 22, 2016, 04:19 PM   #19
ARSG12

Quote:
That was essentially a BB gun scope. Laugh all you want to about scope pricing, but you generally get what you pay for. Many really cheap scopes loose their zero for seemingly no reason at all.
But even a BB gun has more "recoil" (maybe more accurately called "vibration")than a 10/22, due to the internal mechanics a BB gun has. Since my 10/22 has no recoil to speak of, why would a scope--cheap or not--not only lose its zero, but even lose its ability to be adjusted?
Old October 22, 2016, 07:55 PM   #20
22-rimfire

I have no explanation for your 4x20mm BB gun scope in terms of why it broke. If it was new, I'd take it back to the store for a refund. It shouldn't have broke. But cheap stuff is not dependable and unexpected things can happen. You solution is what I would do.... get a new scope for the rifle. Don't even consider a small tube diameter scope for your 10/22. Not worth it and saving a few bucks is not worth the aggravation and it doesn't allow you to completely enjoy the scoped 22 rifle experience.

When I was a kid, my Dad's 22 had a fixed small tube 4x 22 scope on it. It was always a little dark. No idea of the brand name, but back in those days, the 1/2" diameter 22 scopes were common. I believe they are mostly used on the less expensive air guns now. Better air guns will be fitted with a larger diameter scope these days.

As a teen getting my first 22, I saved up for a Herters 4x 1" tube diameter 22 scope. It of course was made in Japan at the time. I believe it was about $20-$25 then and that was about half the cost of my rifle. I still have that scope on that rifle and the scope works just fine 40+ years later. I didn't want a small diameter scope on my 22 rifle. Even then, I was a gun nut, but I had to live within my means.

At the time, we were seeing 7/8" diameter and they were considered "large diameter" until the 1" tube scopes started appearing and being more common. Even the variable scope offered with the Weatherby Mark XXII semi auto was a 7/8" scope and I believe the "famous" V22 offered by Weaver was the same.

I assume you know that the parallax on a 22 scope is adjusted to 50yds versus about 100 yds for centerfire scopes.

Anyway, the difference is like night and day with 22 rifles. Don't get a small diameter scope for your 10/22. 4x20 is small..... I swore by 4x scopes for years on my 22's. More than a couple rifles were scoped with one. I still feel that it is a great match for 22 rifles with the rationale being that if you can't see the target well enough in the scope to shoot it, you're probably too far away for practical 22 shooting.

Now I play around shooting at 100 yds with 22 rifles and like higher magnification.

My advice is for you to do some soul searching concerning your choice in scopes. My advice still stands and I wouldn't worry about the why on your old scope any more. Move on and get something better. Your 10/22 deserves it even if they are not known for their accuracy without a lot of custom work (new barrels and so forth).

Sorry for making this so long.

Added: I did a low effort search for the Weaver rimfire scopes and it appears that the 2.5-7x runs around $160 and the 4x (28mm) runs about $140. I would go with the variable. I know this seems expensive to you. There are certainly ok $40-$50 22 scopes around.

Last edited by 22-rimfire; October 22, 2016 at 08:25 PM.
Old October 23, 2016, 07:48 AM   #21
P-990

Honestly, I wouldn't expect a $30-50 scope to last long with any kind of use. Even for a 10/22, I'd suggest looking for a Weaver or Nikon rimfire scope. I like Leupold myself, but the VX-1 2-7 rimfire is going to go over $200.

Life's too short to waste time chasing wandering zeros, uneven adjustments and optics that won't focus.
Old October 23, 2016, 09:05 AM   #22
mikejonestkd

The least expensive scope I would consider for any rifle is in the Bushnell banner, Nikon prostaff, or simmons 44mag line.

Cheap scopes are a one way ticket to frustration, I have several sitting in a drawer that have let me down over the years.
Old October 23, 2016, 09:53 AM   #23
22-rimfire

I have a Bushnell Banner 4x on one of my 22 rifles. Works just fine. I don't adjust scopes unless I notice that the POI has changed beyond what you might expect with different ammo choices. Scopes designed for shotguns also work on 22's.

I think using a 50/50 ratio for a rimfire scope relative to the cost of the rifle is a reasonable approach. But I have $1000 22's also.

Last edited by 22-rimfire; October 23, 2016 at 10:01 AM.
Old October 24, 2016, 02:47 PM   #24
ARSG12

Quote:
Honestly, I wouldn't expect a $30-50 scope to last long with any kind of use.
What would you expect would cause it to stop functioning, other than it being a defective scope in the first place?
Old October 24, 2016, 06:05 PM   #25
603Country

A couple of years ago I bought 3 BSA fixed 4 scopes from Walmart. They were for beat up old cheap 22's. All are still working. On my good 22's, I have a couple of older Leupold 2-7's and a new Nikon 3-9 Prostaff rimfire, with BDC. I really like that Nikon, it being much brighter than the older Leupolds.