The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: If both OC and CC is/were an option, which of the following best applies to you:
OC all the time 1 0.82%
OC most of the time but CC on occasion 9 7.38%
CC all of the time 49 40.16%
CC most of the time but OC on occasion 63 51.64%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 4, 2013, 02:53 PM   #1
Coyote Blue

If both OC and CC is/were an option, which of the following best applies to you:

I saw this interesting poll on another gun forum and asked the OP if I could start it on another site. He graciously gave his permission.

All comments and votes are appreciated.

Remember to vote as if you were living in a state where both options were possible.

Last edited by Coyote Blue; April 4, 2013 at 03:01 PM. Reason: added map
Old April 4, 2013, 03:02 PM   #2
cvc944

The only place I don't carry concealed is at the gun club. The only reason I open-carry there is because I don't have to explain myself or the handgun to people.
Old April 4, 2013, 03:03 PM   #3
alex0535

I do live in a state with both open and concealed carry.

I am going to eventually get my carry permit, probably sometime after getting a Ruger SR9C. If I carry off the property I plan to carry concealed. On our property for the time being, I carry open because concealing a 6" Taurus Tracker is about impossible and I feel no reason to hide that I am carrying a gun on my own property where it really does not matter.

I don't need to show off that I am carrying. I would rather not even bother people with people having to think about me carrying a gun.

I think most people feel the same way because it is not something I see a lot of, and getting your carry permit in Georgia is a pretty simple process. I am sure that there are many that carry, I just don't know notice because they don't give reason to notice.
Old April 4, 2013, 03:10 PM   #4
orangello

So, are you asking what people do now, or what they would like to do under the conditions you set out?

I don't carry concealed or open, but I do plan to get a permit to carry concealed in the future.
Old April 4, 2013, 03:15 PM   #5
KMAX

I might occasionally OC if circumstances were right, but mostly CC to be more discreet. I just wish Texas allowed OC to make accidentally exposing less of a concern.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old April 4, 2013, 03:17 PM   #6
Coyote Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
So, are you asking what people do now, or what they would like to do under the conditions you set out?
This.

From The Cleveland Press, March 1, 1921
Old April 4, 2013, 03:21 PM   #7
Evan Thomas

The only place I have any interest in carrying openly is in the woods, when I'm hunting. Otherwise, no. I don't draw attention to myself if I can avoid it.
Old April 4, 2013, 03:22 PM   #8
BumbleBug

Quote:
I might occasionally OC if circumstances were right, but mostly CC to be more discreet. I just wish Texas allowed OC to make accidentally exposing less of a concern.
I CC in TX too & I agree with KMAX...
Old April 4, 2013, 03:26 PM   #9
jager.30-06

I live in ok and have been carrying open since nov 1st (when it became legal) I have gotten a few looks but the only talk ive gotten from folks have been positive. however I don't dress like rambo lol. I think if more responsible people open carried it would not be that big of a deal. I am very clean cut and well dressed and go out of my way to be polite and respectfull. I see it as an opportunity to break the sterotype, I am usually with my family kids etc. and I want to change peoples perception of the dumb redneck gun nuts.
Old April 4, 2013, 03:30 PM   #10
4EVERM-14

Quote:
KMAXX:
I just wish Texas allowed OC to make accidentally exposing less of a concern.
This is the real reason some states allow OC. When the wind blows your jacket open, shirt gets caught on the gun butt,etc. Some states that will get you arrested.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old April 4, 2013, 03:50 PM   #11
Spats McGee
Staff

I could see myself OCing around my place, my parents' place, or in rural areas. As I am an urban dweller, though, CC would be the rule rather than the exception.
Old April 4, 2013, 04:02 PM   #12
SPEMack618

Open carry would be beneficial to me because of my job. I work outside, spend a lot of time on ATV or side by side.

The store where we purchase our fuel is no more than 10 minutes down the road, it would be nice not to have to take off my revovler every time I go to fill up one of the camp vehicles or have to run to Home Depot.

Once, accidentally, I walked into Wal-Mart in my work uniform(green dungaree pants and an olive short sleeve shirt) with my revovler still on my belt, and a little girl said something to her mother(they were behind me in line) and her mother replied "That it was okay. He's a game warden."
Old April 4, 2013, 05:05 PM   #13
ClydeFrog

YouTube Yo-Yo; mouth-piece...

I held a valid CC license where I live from 2002-2007. I had a firearm with me about 20% of the time.
I'd OC in my area about the same. I'm not going to be a "YouTube Yo-Yo" or run about engaging others in 2A issues or gun laws as some gun owners choose to do.
As a uniformed security officer I'd have citizens or visitors ask me about gun laws/weapons but I'm sure working cops(sworn LE officers) get that all the time.

As posted in other topics, I like the element of surprise, .

CF
Old April 4, 2013, 06:25 PM   #14
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

For me, "open carry" would mean not having to make absolutely, positively, unquestionably certain that no one would ever see my gun under any circumstances. I would rarely, if ever, "open" carry but I would carry in more comfortable ways (OWB) with more clothing options.
Old April 4, 2013, 06:30 PM   #15
Spats McGee
Staff

Having an option to OC would at least allow me to take off my jacket before getting in the car . . .
Old April 4, 2013, 06:34 PM   #16
armoredman

I live in AZ - both options are open to me without permit, license or any other government permission slip. 99% of the time I conceal, but there are times I will open carry - we've had open carry here for over 100 years, since we became a state, and it's pretty unremarked upon, except by tourists from Joisey.
Old April 4, 2013, 06:36 PM   #17
shouldazagged

I'm no longer able to hunt or hike due to age and health problems. It's barely conceivable I might carry openly when fishing, but highly unlikely. I live in a shall-issue, castle-doctrine, stand-your-ground, legal-open-carry state. I also live in a metro area of about a million people. Keeping a low profile and not answering questions suit me very well. I've carried concealed daily for over fifteen years, since soon after it became legal here.
Old April 4, 2013, 06:51 PM   #18
BigD_in_FL

I have absolutely no use for OC and find the concept (except when hunting) to be somewhat juvenile - seems like a lot of folks want to play "Hey, look at me, I have a gun" and that has no place anywhere
Old April 4, 2013, 06:54 PM   #19
sigcurious

I CC most of the time for convenience(no issues with stores etc and being asked to leave), but either is an option and no one really blinks an eye at OC here.
Old April 4, 2013, 07:22 PM   #20
armoredman

Quote:
I have absolutely no use for OC and find the concept (except when hunting) to be somewhat juvenile - seems like a lot of folks want to play "Hey, look at me, I have a gun" and that has no place anywhere
Thank you so much for the gratuitous insult. Here in Arizona, (a cowboy state, if you will) ,we have people who carry openly all the time, and it is not something people worry or fret about - we've been doing it for, as I stated, over 100 years. This dates back from the Territorial Days, as it wasn't "Hey, look, I have a gun", but a normal everyday article of every day wear that most people utilized, such as a buggy whip or a skate key might have been back in the various day. For many AZ residents today it is exactly the same way, a convenient method of carrying a defensive sidearm that is both legal and practical, and trust me - most of the ones I have met are anything BUT "juvenile".
You are most certainly welcome to your opinions and point of view, and your different approach enriches the debate.
Old April 4, 2013, 07:32 PM   #21
BigD_in_FL

And that worked 100 years ago when there was no law and order and very little population. I lived in NV, even sparser than your AZ and I don't agree on OC where CC is a better way to go.
MY opinion - you want to take it as an insult, please feel free, won't change my view. No different than those in CA a few years ago who were OCing unloaded guns - a Hey look at me attempt that did more harm than good.

Again -out hunting?, working open range with cattle? walking your dog where the illegals are crossing your property? No problem, go for it. Walking down the street holding your little kid's hand to get an ice cream? Sorry, not seeing the need for that
Old April 4, 2013, 08:11 PM   #22
egor20

I OC on my own property, but as soon as I leave I CC, just my preference.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old April 4, 2013, 08:39 PM   #23
Mr. James

I used to open carry exclusively, and no, it wasn't to call attention to myself. Quite simply, I didn't have a CHL at the time. At the risk of boring repetitiveness, most people don't notice even an open carried full-size service pistol. It's bizarre.

Today, it's about a 60/40 concealed/open split, depending on weather, wardrobe, and anticipated activities. I've found tuckable IWB holsters to be a Godsend when social or family activities might render an open carried firearm a bit outre. Spats McGee mentions something as simple as removing a jacket or suit coat before mounting up. I hate driving with a suit coat bunching up under and behind me, so I like to shuck the jacket and hang it in the rear. Here in Virginia, no problem!

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old April 4, 2013, 08:47 PM   #24
miconoakisland

I have both options available here but CC only. I do carry OWB most of the time with jacket, T-shirt, or sweatshirt and remove jackets, sweatshirts w/o giving exposure a second thought.
If going to a more metro area, I IWB or pocket carry.

I am polite, friendly, smiling and gentlemanly to all I have to interact with when necessary, but given my druthers, I'd generally rather not interact.
Open carry would be enough reason around here for any kook to spout their opinion, whether for or against, and I definitely don't want to deal with that while going about my business.

I would never be mistaken for a LEO and I take a German Shepard with me almost everywhere I go and don't want to appear to be a wannabe LEO by OC'ing. This town is too small for me to be "that guy".
Old April 4, 2013, 09:12 PM   #25
para.2

I am fortunate to live in a state where both are legal and possible. I don't know whether it's our culture, or whether people are just that oblivious, but whenever i have OC'd I have never noticed anyone noticing me, I carry a small(-ish) revolver (k-frame or equivalent) or auto (Glock 19 or equivalent) at 4:00in an OWb rig, and have never had occasion to worry about being "made," OC or CC.

I voted mostly cc with occasional oc.