The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old October 24, 2012, 12:43 PM   #1
bch044

Minor PF vs Major PF

I have an xdm9 and am looking to get into competition (just learning and haven't shot in competition or for that matter haven't shot that much at all) and if I interpret what I have learned so far is that a 9 is in the Minor Pf. Which puts me behind the 8 ball to start with. My question I guess would be do I purchase a 45 to put me in the Major PF and be more competitive? or do I shoot what I have and have a good time and learn more before worrying about PF's? If I do stay with the 9 and get used to shooting it and then in due time want to upgrade to a 45 what about the learning curve of shooting a new gun?

Thanks
Steve
Old October 24, 2012, 02:03 PM   #2
RickB

There are a couple of things to consider. If you intend to shoot USPSA/IPSC, you will probably compete in Production division, and everyone is scrored minor, and everyone is limited to ten rounds per mag (USPSA), so the playing field is level, in that respect.
You could choose to shoot in Limited 10 division, and that's where you would have to decide if you want to compete at minor power factor with no capacity advantage - in Single Stack division, where the XD can't play, you can load 10 at minor, and 8 at major - balancing the lower scoring of minor with lower recoil and hopefully better, faster hits.
In IDPA competition, major and minor never compete together, so you'd be limited to Enhanced Service Pistol where, again, everyone is shooting minor and everyone is loading 10.
Old October 24, 2012, 02:41 PM   #3
g.willikers

Or you could focus on getting good hits, in the highest scoring parts of the target.
There's no scoring penalty for minor, then.
Old October 24, 2012, 05:19 PM   #4
gunrobot

*Shameless plug*

Checkout the PowerFactor Show, especially the earlier episodes where Rick and Steve talk about equipment and gun selections. Episodes 8,10, 11 and 12.

http://www.youtube.com/powerfactorshow
http://www.powerfactorshow.com

hope that helps!
Old October 25, 2012, 06:48 AM   #5
lmccrock

First, go out and shoot. Do not worry about having the perfect gun for the division.

Anyway, if you are going to buy another gun to make major in Limited or L10, a 40 would make more sense, due to higher capacity than a 45 in the same platform. If you reload, load the 40 ammo lower when you are shooting production, and up to major for Ltd/L10.

Again, go shoot a match before making any more purchases.
Old October 25, 2012, 03:26 PM   #6
bch044

Thanks for the all the info.

I have been watching the videos for a couple months now and they are very interesting and informative.
Old October 25, 2012, 09:43 PM   #7
Ronbert

Remember that the super shooters you see at the matches would still clean your clock if you switched guns with them.

I suggest doing a lot of match-oriented practice shooting and shoot the matches before considering spending money on more equipment.

Spend more money on practice ammo and less on other equipment. It'll have the best net effect for quite awhile. (My definition of "best" is defined as you learning how to shoot well and repeatably rather than obtaining more points in the match.)

(This from a guy who was a C class IPSC shooter using a stock 1911 from an Uncle Mike's holster and gun belt and random ammo pouches for the mags. I often outshot guys who'd bought raceguns and I still hadn't maxed out my equipment's capability.)
Old October 28, 2012, 09:06 PM   #8
scottys1

I agree with Imccrock and Ronbert. Take what you already have and go shoot some matches.

I started with a ported 9mm EAA Witness, a cheap holster, and borrowed mag pouches. The porting put me into open class but I didn't care. I learned a lot in my first few matches. I was lucky enough to be able to practice with some local hot shooters. They gave me a lot of help, advice, and coaching which saved me a lot of coin on later purchases.

As said already, spend your money on ammo and get in plenty of match oriented practice before thinking about new equipment.
Old October 29, 2012, 07:43 AM   #9
Jesse Tischauser

Shoot production because all guns are scored minor and have fun The added mag changes and stage planning with production is a good thing. Shoot all alphas!
Old October 31, 2012, 03:08 PM   #10
MP9

just go and shoot your gun. dont worry about guns/minor/major..

first learn, when you overcome your gun, then upgrade your equipment..

the xdm9 is a very nice gun and you can do pretty well in idpa/uspsa with it.

and when you decide to shoot limited, get a 40. 45 is not a good idea for limited, unless you want to shoot limited 10. it does not worth get gun for limited and be in disadvantage with the very good shooters. if you are a beginner and own 9mm pistol, production/ SSP is your place to start with.

focus on the basis, trigger control, grip, transitions, align the sight while shooting fast...

dont do as many guys who get expensive guns and are not that good.. it is not the arrow, it is the indian.
Old November 1, 2012, 11:01 AM   #11
RickB

Quote:
9mm pistol, production/ SSP is your place to start with.
The XD, in 9mm, is IDPA-legal only in ESP division.
Old November 5, 2012, 10:09 AM   #12
MP9

correct. I forgot that.. but sometimes in local matches you can use it as SSP.. if you go to a postal match or any other bigger event , you have to be on ESP.
thanks