The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 21, 2009, 06:59 PM   #1
cycocyanin

M1A with Hornady SST 165g

I recently picked up a NM M1A and have since put about 100 rounds through it zeroing and just having fun. I've been reloading 9mm for about 6 months now and am anxious to get into rifle loading as well. I've got just about all my supplies necessary except for bullet heads, well the right ones.

The other week I accidentally ordered Hornady SST 165g bullet heads instead of the 168g HPBT that I meant to get. I'm trying to use IMR 4064 in LC Match brass. I have been unable to find any load data for this bullet; does it feed through an M1A well or is my NM going to hate me?

I was also 'gifted' a few rounds of 165g bthp sierra bullets as well, i'm still working up a collection of load books and cant find any data for these either for .308. If anyone has tried any loads with these (imr 4064) that'd also help a good deal.

Last edited by cycocyanin; September 22, 2009 at 08:53 AM.
Old September 21, 2009, 09:11 PM   #2
Mark whiz

First off - using the SST bullets won't be a problem in the M1A. I've used them and Nosler ballistic tips in mine with no issues.

As far as a load goes, I've used 44 to 44.5gr of 4064 without issues with 165gr bullets - that was with commercial cases though. With your LC cases, you might want to drop that down a bit, maybe working up from 42.5gr to see what you get.
!