The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 19, 2009, 08:41 AM   #1
ah141nj

223 Case Length

I am getting ready to load my test loads for my Colt HBAR. Its my first go at rifle loads. I have 100 cases sized & ready to be trimmed. I know that the ideal trim to length is 1.750.
In the cases I have ready to be trimmed, none of them are longer than 1.750Most of them are much shorter. Out of the 15 I recorded they were 1.735 - 1.748 with 1 at 1.752
Does that mean they werent sized correctly? Do I have to discard them? Do I need to start over?
They are Federal mil cases that were swaged already with the Dillon Swage tool. I was prepared to load Sierra 69gr BTHP, but the OAL will be varied due the starting case length
There's no such thing as a good gun. There's no such thing as a bad gun. A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys."
-- Charlton Heston, 15 Sep 1997
Old September 19, 2009, 09:19 AM   #2
snuffy

Quote:
I was prepared to load Sierra 69gr BTHP, but the OAL will be varied due the starting case length
??? What make you think that? The OAL is controlled by the seating die, the case length has nothing to do with it.

The shorter than trim to length is not a problem, at least not for your first loading. The CASE length will only affect the resistance to initial bullet movement, or bullet pull. The shorter cases will have less grip on a bullet, than a longer one will. That can affect accuracy.

It IS rare to find once fired cases that are under trim-to-length length, especially military cases. But it's not really a problem. Load and fire those, they'll grow so you can trim them.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old September 19, 2009, 09:45 AM   #3
Ozzieman

ah141nj +1

The following has some good information for the first time loader for the .223

http://www.6mmbr.com/223Rem.html
Old September 19, 2009, 11:51 AM   #4
ah141nj

Thanks Guys.

Ozzie...I have read that article several times but I didnt find my answer in it.
I always thought a trim to 1.750 was crucial for loading 223 for an AR.
There's no such thing as a good gun. There's no such thing as a bad gun. A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys."
-- Charlton Heston, 15 Sep 1997
Old September 19, 2009, 08:31 PM   #5
jepp2

The greatest impact will be if you are crimping your bullets. You didn't state you were, so +1 on what the others said. They will be fine.

I load for various AR's. The bullet can shift back into the case when the tip hits the feed ramps. It call pull out when the bolt slams shut and the inertia of the bullet can shift it forward. If you haven't pulled any loaded rounds after they have been chambered and check their length, YOU SHOULD!