The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 19, 2016, 06:27 PM   #1
Killabee-23

Mossberg maverick 88 feeding issues

I have a mossberg maverick 88 and it is pretty much brand new i got it about 2 months ago and have put about 150 rounds through it but ive been having some feeding problems. What happens is i fill the tube and rack the slide and a round feeds and then i shoot about 3 or 4 rounds and then i go to pump another round and it doesnt drop onto the carrier. then when i put the pump forward thinking it picked up the round the round falls on the ground. this doesnt happen every time but it happens enough to where im going to contact mossberg and ask them whats up. Do you guys know what that could be or has that happened to anybody else with any different guns and you knew what it was?
Old February 19, 2016, 07:03 PM   #2
Killabee-23

Nevermind guys im pretty sure i figured out what it was i think it was because i was short stroking it. it seems like you have to really rack the slide like your mad at it lol.
Old February 19, 2016, 08:00 PM   #3
Blindstitch

I guess it depends what you're doing with it. If I'm shooting clays it usually doesn't matter. But If I go hunting for pheasants, geese, or anything else that wants to get away from me fast I always pull back the forend hard. It's better to know you got it back all the way instead of shortstroking it.

Also look at your hand placement. I also have a youth mossberg 500 and the forend on those sets back maybe another 2 inches so kids can handle them better.
Old February 20, 2016, 07:52 AM   #4
g.willikers

It wouldn't hurt to check the cartridge interrupter and stop parts.
If they're dirty they may be sticking and causing some of those problems.
They're parts 11 and 12 in the parts view:
http://www.brownells.com/schematics/...ge-sid160.aspx
Old February 20, 2016, 01:00 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

"...seems like you have to really rack the slide..." Sometimes, but should not be a normal thing. Mind you, operating a pump gun can be daft. Dry fire practice helps.
You give it a really good bath and lube it, before shooting it? New firearms have rust preventatives on 'em that needs to come off.

Tags
12 gauge. pump action , mossberg , mossberg maverick , pump shotgun