The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old December 9, 2013, 08:45 PM   #701
cal10

So California has AR 's, AK's, and parts readily available in most of the larger gun shops. Ammo has loosened up a bit, but 22lr requires the use of a qualified medium (fortune teller), or standing in lines early mornings only to be told there is no 22lr when you get to the counter. It usually take me about 4-6 hrs. combined waiting time to get a bulk pack at $35. I paid for about 8 boxes at a local shop in early June, but their still working on filling late April orders.

I also observed that years ago I would go to buy ammo when I was going to go shoot, not to store or hoard, but now if I see ammo in my calibers I buy it out of fear that it won't be there tomorrow, or 30 seconds from now. Point being is that most of us stored our ammo on the store shelves and not in our homes.
I've also seen people in the lead lines that don't even own any guns their just buying it to resell online.
Old December 9, 2013, 09:15 PM   #702
Chaz88

Quote:
My local Walmart now has all calibers in stock except 22lr. They have significant quantities of 32spl (of all things), 380, 9mm multiple varieties), 40sw and 45, with others scattered in.

I overheard the clerk telling someone they'd have more 22 in tomorrow after 1pm but no need to hurry, it no longer sells out immediately.
Hope that situation trickles out to the Midwest. Was at my walmart today and as usual they have almost nothing on the shelf.

Another local place recently had a bunch of .22 at $10 to $15 per 50rnd box. Went there today and it was sold out. I can not believe anyone wants .22 at that price. I have been occasionally finding 9mm at $14.95 but for .22, come on!

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old December 10, 2013, 12:34 PM   #703
Kimio

Finding .22lr is still a massive pain in the ass out here sadly. There's a small gun shop up north that's about an hour or so away. I may head up there this weekend to see if they have some good prices.
Old December 10, 2013, 04:29 PM   #704
vito

No luck in finding any 22LR yet anywhere in Rockford, IL where I live, but today at the local Walmart I bought 40S&W at $14.87 a box of fifty (a Russian brand, steel cases, brand name Tulammo 180 gr FMJ). Limited to 3 boxes so I bought that amount. I'll find out soon if my Ruger s40c has a problem with this ammo.
Old December 13, 2013, 08:17 AM   #705
Kev

Vito
That ammo functions well in my 9mm's
Just spend an extra 10minutes on your cleaning routine.
It's a bit "dirty"
Old December 13, 2013, 01:04 PM   #706
Glenn E. Meyer

Went by the LGS to have some smithing done. Lots of all kinds of guns - EBRs, Glocks, 1911s - you name it. Prices for new guns will run you more than the best prices you can find elsewhere.

Some ammo but 22 is scare. Stop hoarding it - I'm setting up a Ruger 10/22 for carbine matches!!
Old December 13, 2013, 05:59 PM   #707
74camaroman

A few years ago I bought 5K at CMP(Civilian Marksmanship Program). It was Aguila target. Then I bought 5k of the super target. Price was 230.00. I thought it was an exceptional deal. The first time at the range with my Marlin 60 Semi I had alot of failure to feed issues. Seems that he velocity is rated at 1080fps which won't cycle my auto but it seems to work in my Ruger Mark II. I also have a High Standard 9 shot DA revolver with 6 inch barrel and it works in that also. I have two marlin 60"s, a Henry AR7 and they won't work really good in those. Cabela's had 2100 rounds of Federal 36gr. hps for 79.99 a few years back, rated at 1240fps which work fine in those 22's, I bought four of those (8400rds) and my brother in law bought 2 of those Federals (4200rds) and we have had no problem. I live in California and they are always coming up with new ways to attack our 2nd amendment rights so I stocked up several years ago. I am not hoarding just being prepared for the next attack on my firearm rights. When I run into a great deal I buy wheather I need it or not because I shoot alot and when I can find some powder to buy I will start reloading and then my buying will slow down. I have no problem with ammo right now but in California you never can tell. In 2013 our legislature approved a bill which would have required california gun owners to purchase an Ammunition Permit card for $50.00 but the Governor Vetoed that bill which seems to return every year. Want to find out about California Firearm Laws then to to CalGuns.net but if you are not from California then you better take a sedative so as not to have a brain pain or heart attack. hahaha!!
Old December 17, 2013, 09:28 AM   #708
Sheriff Gotcha

Does anyone know of some websites out there with good prices on some 223? Both of my local wally worlds and the Dicks around here are bone dry.
Old December 17, 2013, 09:51 AM   #709
Onlooker

Palmetto Armory has some pretty good deals:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...93lc1-ac1.html

That one and a couple others there. Range ammo is what I assumed you referred to.
Old December 17, 2013, 12:22 PM   #710
Chaz88

Keep an eye out. My WM has had bulk 5.56/.223 on the shelf for several weeks now.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old December 18, 2013, 04:54 AM   #711
Ritz

I was in the Cabelas in Hamburg, PA a couple of days ago and they had PLENTY of .223 ammo on the shelves at various price points. I didn't buy any (was there for supplies for my barrel stuffer), but the prices appeared to be OK.
Old December 18, 2013, 11:37 AM   #712
Glenn E. Meyer

WM - looking at microwaves - so I went by ammo.

Plenty of 40, 45, 223. No 22 LR and only higher end SD 9mm.
Old December 18, 2013, 12:19 PM   #713
Garycw

The "Where is everything?" thread -- guns, ammo, primers, powder, etc.

Has anyone had any luck finding ammo at Meijers? Was there yesterday and looked pretty slim pickins
Old December 18, 2013, 08:11 PM   #714
Closing The Gap

Our Meijer always has it Friday morning but thats the only delivery they get. Once a week unlike WM. It's usually gone by 11am.
Old December 25, 2013, 11:53 PM   #715
Warthogge

Smokeless Powder in Houston?

Anyone seen any smokeless powder for pistol reloading on the shelf in Northern Houston metroplex area? The internet is a strikeout.
Old December 26, 2013, 06:22 PM   #716
Glenn E. Meyer

Went to Academy to look for New Balance shoes, so I checked out guns and ammo. Tons of 223, 45, 40 - all kinds of other rifle ammo and handgun stuff. But no 22 - the hoarders are still slavering over that, I suppose.

Tons of ARs on the racks. Lots of handguns.
Old December 27, 2013, 08:56 AM   #717
Toolman

American Pioneer Powder

Has anybody seen any American Pioneer Powder in granular form? It comes in a white bottle. My son needs some for his muzzleloader.
Old December 27, 2013, 09:03 AM   #718
gaseousclay

I guess it's a good thing my guns are sitting in my safe collecting dust. I rarely go to the gun stores anymore so I don't really need ammo, but if i'm in the neighborhood i'll check out the supplies. haven't been to a LGS for a couple of months now
Old December 28, 2013, 07:28 AM   #719
Ritz

H335 at Cabelas store in Hamburg PA

Was there yesterday to buy something else and saw 1lb containers of H335 on the shelf.

There was also tons of ammo with the exception of .22LR. (which doesn't matter for me since I've got a nice stash from years back)

Best,
Old December 30, 2013, 01:14 AM   #720
AR-15

Stopped by Cabelas as well. Suprised that the range was quite good
Old December 30, 2013, 01:37 PM   #721
Spats McGee
Staff

Presuming that Midway's backorder schedule is accurate, and if you can wait until June or so to get some .22LR: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/621...bucket-of-1400
Old January 3, 2014, 05:32 PM   #722
SC4006

CCI Stingers!

A few days ago when I went to my LGS in southern NH, I got a surprise, they actually had stingers in stock. I haven't seen any stingers ANYWHERE here in about a year, so maybe things are returning to a somewhat normal state. My LGS has a 2 box limit on all .22LR ammo still, but I see that as reasonable because if they didn't have a limit it would all be gobbled up in no time.

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
Old January 3, 2014, 06:23 PM   #723
thallub

Today the Academy store in Lawton had .22 caliber CCI Stinger ammo in stock.
Old January 4, 2014, 02:17 PM   #724
SmokeeatersE35

.22 LR ammo

I bought my son a Henry Lver Action .22 for christmas this year and after i couldnt get ammo from some local gunshops i decided to go to Dicks Sporting Goods just to see if they had any... ( i usually dont go here because i like to keep the small shops in business) and they had a ton of .22 LR ammo... American Eagle, CCI, Remington... Their price for the American Eagle was $2.48 a box of 40, kinda expensive and what ever happened to the 50 round boxes? Anyways i ended up buying 10 boxes just to get my boy started...but i hope this helps......Check all the Dicks Sporting Goods stores in Massachusetts they probably have some!
Old January 4, 2014, 06:42 PM   #725
Jo6pak

Hit a local gunshow today.
There was a bit of .22 rimfire, but prices are still very high. Some bricks of Centurion were at $75, even Remington Thunderbolt was $50 for 500.
Don't need any that bad.

I did pick up 500 rnds of PMC Bronze .40S+W 165gr FMJ for $160.

I've done a fair bit of business with the guy that I bought the 40 ammo from. (I buy most of my ammo from him). He said there were issues with the new distributor for the Mexican ammo, which is why he didn't have any. He will be meeting with them at the SHOT show and was cautiously optimistic that things would be sorted by spring. Take that for what it's worth, but that's what he said.