The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 8, 2013, 01:40 PM   #101
Tactical Jackalope

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360348632.672070.jpg

New spring came in. Look at the height difference.

Can I pop it in and keep carrying my P220? Or will it be too tight and cause jams?

And also got the mainspring, the thing that goes through the slide. It isn't like the roll of metal the new ones have. It 2 pieces and the firing pin spring.

I'll put those in later.

However I need help / a walk through on removing the pins through the slide. Do I need a special took for that?

Sent from my phone...expect typos.

Last edited by Tactical Jackalope; February 8, 2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old February 8, 2013, 04:13 PM   #102
Sagacious

My 220 Girls

I think they are beautiful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My 220 girls.jpg (57.9 KB, 14 views)
Old February 8, 2013, 05:10 PM   #103
Tactical Jackalope

Yes! I'm enamored with mine thanks for the pics. Can we get more SIG love in here?

And should I break in my new recoil spring before I carry it? Or is it already good to go?

Old February 8, 2013, 10:38 PM   #104
Rinspeed

Quote:
New spring came in. Look at the height difference.

Looks like a small amount of green paint on the old one which would mean they are the same spring. No reason it wouldn't be the same spring. I'll just copy and paste this from another forum where I posted it.

From what I understand it didn't take much material in the right spots to strengthen the 226 and 220. I'm not sure about the 226 but the old style american 220 was changed over in 94 or 95. The new 220 starting at serial number 219166 had three changes. The frame was stronger, the trigger group was totally changed because the 220 was the only one out of the three that couldn't be converted to DAO and lasty the recoil spring weight was increased to 20#. These new ones had a more rounded hammer and the recoil spring was painted green.
Old February 9, 2013, 12:44 AM   #105
Tactical Jackalope

Thanks Rinspeed! I saw a bit of the green on the old spring. So when I went to topgunsupply dot com I went with that to purchase the new one. It's just that I think the spring I changed has been in there since the gun was produced and its a few millimeters shorter than the new one.

I also changed the mainspring. The trigger pull feels great.

What my question was, is the new spring doesn't have to be broken in does it?

Also. I'm going to PM you my serial number. I'm pretty sure the gun was manufactured in 2000 though. But you'd know more than I.

Thanks! Always helping me out with this.

Old February 9, 2013, 12:50 AM   #106
TunnelRat

Quote:
And should I break in my new recoil spring before I carry it? Or is it already good to go?
I would. My buddy sent his 90s P220 to SIG for custom work and they replaced all the springs. He had a few problems on his first few rounds with weaker target ammo. I doubt you'd have an issue with defensive ammo, but anytime I replace or change a part in a gun I run at least 100 rds through it to see if it causes problems.

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc...5/m/7320040262
^ This will give you an estimate on the date from serial number.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnwQJ...9017FA&index=1
^This is a video disassembly of the frame and slide of a P226. I used the same for my P220 and was fine. Guy does a good job. Note that it's multiple parts.

-TR
Maintain situational awareness
Old February 9, 2013, 08:38 AM   #107
Tactical Jackalope

Thanks TR. I appreciate that greatly. I didn't know you had a P220! Love this thing.

I've taken the whole thing down and apart before. Just not the slide. I don't want to mess with it. (Internal extractor slides? I'm unfamiliar with)

Is it easy or hard to knock those pins out? I already have the pins and firing pin spring. I also really want to clean the extractor and firing pin. I don't think it's ever been done. Like the gun itself when I got it. You had to have seen the mess it was internally and it was still firing like a champ.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360416736.927770.jpg

Also. If I want to slap on night sights. Which I do... Would it be wise to just send it in to SIG? Breaks my heart having this gun away from me. It's my main CCW.

Or is it okay to just buy them and have a local SIG armored install them?

Oh and the serial number thing, I think I went to that site. And mine wasn't on there. Bit the one before and after were both the year 2000 so I'm assuming it was 2000. I could be wrong though. I want to see if someone else draws the same conclusion on that lol.

Thanks man. Appreciate it and again in advance.

Old February 9, 2013, 10:56 AM   #108
TunnelRat

Quote:
I didn't know you had a P220! Love this thing.
Yea I don't have it anymore, traded it for something I can't remember. Probably one of the dumbest things I've done, was probably my favorite 45 to this point. I've owned about a dozen SIGs at one point or another.

Quote:
Is it easy or hard to knock those pins out? I already have the pins and firing pin spring.
Should be if you have the right sized punch. If it's one of the double roll pins, one curled inside the other, the only issue you can have is if your punch is a bit small you might knock the inner one out and leave the outside one there, so just watch for that.

Quote:
Also. If I want to slap on night sights. Which I do... Would it be wise to just send it in to SIG? Breaks my heart having this gun away from me. It's my main CCW.

Or is it okay to just buy them and have a local SIG armored install them?
Should be fine. SIGs have a nice dovetail sight that any decent gunsmith shouldn't have an issue with. That way you don't have to wait for the turnaround.

Quote:
Oh and the serial number thing, I think I went to that site. And mine wasn't on there. Bit the one before and after were both the year 2000 so I'm assuming it was 2000. I could be wrong though. I want to see if someone else draws the same conclusion on that lol.
Yea you won't find the exact one. All it is is a list of people with their serial numbers that have called SIG and asked what year theirs was made. You did what I do, find ones that are close and use those as an estimate.
Old February 9, 2013, 12:12 PM   #109
Tactical Jackalope

Awesome! Thank you! And sorry about the P220. Maybe you'll get another one someday. I hope you do for a steal.

Yeah it's the one with the two pins. I bought the new ones already and the firing pin spring. So they're going right in after I clean everything up in there.

However. I don't have a punch :|

My SIG 226 felt like it needed a hammer to punch through. Is that normal?

Old February 9, 2013, 12:26 PM   #110
TunnelRat

Quote:
However. I don't have a punch :|

My SIG 226 felt like it needed a hammer to punch through. Is that normal?
Depending on the size I was able to find some at Home Depot that work for mine.

Yeah they're in there ridiculously right. I usually secure the slide in a vise or a clamp. Then give it a few good whacks with a rubber mallet.
Old February 10, 2013, 08:26 AM   #111
Tactical Jackalope

Darn...so far all I have in that equation is a rubber mallet.

I'll see about it.

Didn't get to go to the range this weekend. No ammo here -___-
Old February 10, 2013, 12:08 PM   #112
WVsig

Quote:
Depending on the size I was able to find some at Home Depot that work for mine.

Yeah they're in there ridiculously right. I usually secure the slide in a vise or a clamp. Then give it a few good whacks with a rubber mallet.
Take a 2x4 and make yourself a block to work on. Drill a hole into the block. Place the slide on the block and line up the rolls pint over the hole and drive them out with a good roll pin punch...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/191...-4-piece-steel

The wood is forgiving enough so you do not damage your slide and the hole keeps you from losing your roll pins or parts. I personally do no re-use the roll pins but I know some people do.

Last edited by WVsig; February 10, 2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old February 10, 2013, 11:28 PM   #113
Tactical Jackalope

WVsig. Thank you! I can get those roll pin punches this week.

I agree. I never reuse the old one. I've already purchased parts for the SIG. Installed the recoil spring and mainspring. I still want to do the firing pin spring and roll pins. I have both the inner and outer already in my possession.

I'm going to do that wood deal also.

I'll need a hammer though. Right?