The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 25, 2012, 11:26 PM   #1
chipchip

S&W E Series SC Round Butt 1911

Any opinions on this gun would be appreciated. Reliability, accuracy, recoil.

Thanks
Old November 25, 2012, 11:37 PM   #2
TunnelRat

I didn't have the best of luck with mine:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...highlight=1911

Now after it's trip to S&W the problems did go away. They ended up adjusting the extractor and adjusting the "barrel to slide fit". So it needed some work. I was without a gun for a month and at $1300 I would have hoped it would have worked fine day one but life isn't perfect. My dealer did say it was the first one they'd had issues with.

I still ended up selling it. I could be delusional, but for some reason I wasn't able to shoot it as accurately as well as previously owned 1911s, even S&W ones. Maybe it was the lighter weight, though I own poly 45s, idk, but I could never connect with it like I wanted. It is a drop dead gorgeous gun.
Maintain situational awareness
Old November 25, 2012, 11:58 PM   #3
chipchip

I ended up selling my first S&W 1911. Bought it when they first came out. Had to send it back twice. Thought I would give it another go but I think I'll get a Sig 1911 instead.
Old November 26, 2012, 12:05 AM   #4
TunnelRat

Quote:
Thought I would give it another go but I think I'll get a Sig 1911 instead.
Ehh. Idk. I've had some run ins with SIG customer service in recent years. While a SIG may be more likely to be right than the S&W, if there is a problem don't expect the eagerness to fix it as with S&W. It can be like pulling teeth, YMMV. That and when I think 1911, I don't think SIG. I know they've been doing them for a few years now, but I'd rather go with a more traditional maker, just mu opinion.

Honestly I like the Springfield Armory models, though many are made in Brazil, or Colt has been producing some really nice ones recently. Those are the two I'd recommend. Good luck! A nice 1911 is a pleasure for sure.
Old November 26, 2012, 09:36 AM   #5
Fishbed77

My brother has a SW1911 (not an E-series), and it has been a source of constant frustration.

The main problem has been failures to go into battery. Two trips back to S&W and several replacemnt parts and magazines still haven't fixed the issue. Even after almost 2000 rounds of break-in, the problem still persists. There will be a failure every 50 rounds or so.

It's a shame, because otherwise, the SW1911 is a very nice-looking and accurate pistol, with a nice factory trigger. S&W's customer service always seems happy to help, but it's obvious they are not doing the testing to ensure reliability before sending the pistol back.

On the otherhand, my Colt Government XSE, which has a similar feature set to the SW1911, has been 100% reliable from day one. It cost about $250 more than the S&W, but it's worth every penny.

Last edited by Fishbed77; November 26, 2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old November 26, 2012, 11:30 AM   #6
TunnelRat

Quote:
S&W's customer service always seems happy to help, but it's obvious they are not doing the testing to ensure reliability before sending the pistol back.
^This. I love S&W products overall and their CS is better than anyone I've had to deal with (I hear Ruger is excellent too). However I feel if their QC was a bit better, they wouldn't need that CS as much.
Old November 26, 2012, 12:51 PM   #7
chipchip

I'm going to wait for more feed back on the S&W. Really like the gun and for $1300 I don't want to have to send it back for repair.