The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 6, 2011, 05:15 PM   #1
Stressfire

Can anyone clarify a PA statute?

Was heading up to NY for a day trip with mother and fiancee over the weekend, I had planned to carry at least to the PA line if not to the NY line (already know that NY is not terribly pistol friendly) at lock it up from there on.

I know that PA and OH have no reciprocation, but I was a bit confused by the statute cited on handgunlaw.us for PA:
Quote:
(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:
(15) Any person who possesses a valid and lawfully issued license or permit to carry a firearm which has been issued under the laws of another state, regardless of whether a reciprocity agreement exists between the Commonwealth and the state under section 6109(k), provided:
(i) The state provides a reciprocal privilege for individuals licensed to carry firearms under section 6109.
(ii) The Attorney General has determined that the firearm laws of the state are similar to the firearm laws of this Commonwealth.
Sooo, as an OH CCW holder am I covered in PA regardless of reciprocal agreement?

To mods: apologies if posted in wrong forum, I figured legal question so legal forum?
Old September 6, 2011, 05:42 PM   #2
WANT A LCR 22LR

Try PAFOA ( PA Firearms Owners Association ) I'm not sure if it is .com or .org

In any event, please post the results back here.

Reading the law quoted, it sounds like anyone with some credentials from another state is legal in PA even if a formal exchange has never been set up.
Old September 6, 2011, 07:51 PM   #3
Isk

Don't guess and don't rely on handgunlaw. If you want to carry, pay a lawyer to research the law for you.
Old September 6, 2011, 09:02 PM   #4
wally626

Does not matter what PA says, you can not take the pistol into NY State. There are some federal laws that would cover traveling through New York, from one state you are legal to another, but if your destination is NY those do not apply.

Even unloaded and locked in the trunk the pistol is illegal.
Old September 6, 2011, 09:26 PM   #5
kilimanjaro

It says the AG has to have made a determination as to the laws of your CCW state, so be careful. Get real legal advice.
Old September 6, 2011, 10:15 PM   #6
rwilson452

It's pafoa.org.

In PA you can travel under any state's permit, in your car. You cannot carry concealed outside your car unless your permit is recognized by PA. As OH doesn't recognize a PA license PA doesn't recognize OH.

Taking you pistol into NY is a felony without a NY pistol permit. They don't issue to non residents. In essence NY is fork over country. no stops. then your covered under FOPA.
Old September 8, 2011, 09:59 AM   #7
Stressfire

Quote:
Taking you pistol into NY is a felony without a NY pistol permit.
This is why I left it behind and brought my tanto instead. I thought I would be ok in PA to at least transport in the glovebox, but I wasn't taking any chances with NY