The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 7, 2011, 08:51 AM   #1
spacecoast

Florida open carry event - Sat 1/8 - Melbourne

Heard this on the radio this morning. I would be there myself but have a conflict.

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/...pons+into+open
Old January 7, 2011, 11:14 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

What am I missing here....

Quote:
The gathering at the city's Front Street Park is billed as a fishing event where participants are encouraged to openly carry handguns in holsters, something outlined as allowable under state law.

Similar events were organized last year in Daytona Beach, Orlando and Tampa. Supporters say Florida is one of a few states to ban "open carry" of handguns and want to change the state law...
Old January 7, 2011, 11:19 AM   #3
GoOfY-FoOt

Florida has a few minor exceptions, in the Statute. One being, open carry is permissable if going to, coming from, or actively engaged in fishing.
The event is at a park on Tampa Bay, with a good-sized pier to fish from.

Here is the FL. SS 790.25 (3) (h)A person engaged in fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition;

Last edited by GoOfY-FoOt; January 7, 2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old January 7, 2011, 01:43 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Ah! I see. That's a funny exception.

Pretty hard to prove. You could pretty well just carry a fishing pole with you all the time.
Old January 7, 2011, 08:24 PM   #5
Japle

I dug out my fishing gear and will be there in the morning.

Had to make a stop at Wal-Mart for a free license. The cops check for fishing licenses, but not carry licenses? We'll see.
Old January 7, 2011, 08:44 PM   #6
Alden

What's the point of this? I mean, why do it? It will only serve to show our legislators that the law needs rewording, and they will probably make some changes to prevent people from doing this.

Sorry, but this is dumb.
Old January 7, 2011, 11:08 PM   #7
smoakingun

Why do it? Hmm, that is a fair question. While the arguement that it just shows the legislators that a law needs to be re-written is a fair one, consider that that language in the law was deliberate, so maybe they already know that it is there. There are a few arguements for events like this one. First, to make the general public aware that such a thing is legal. (you mught be surprised at how many of our neighbors still think even possesing some firearms is still illegal) Second, to bring the governments attention to the fact that there are people in this state who wiish to decide for themselves if they would be better served carrying open rather than concealed. (the founders of this nation did not carry concealed, why should we?) And third, an event like this is an opprotunity to excersize the rights we have. (our founders did the same, several times a week town malitias gathered to drill in full view of the british army, the sight of armed malitia made the crown very nervous)
Hundreds of years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... But the world may be different because I did something so bafflingly crazy that my ruins become a tourist attraction.
Old January 8, 2011, 08:10 AM   #8
Alden

Excellent answer Mr. Smoking Gun!
Old January 8, 2011, 04:16 PM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I bet the shooting in AZ may have hampered the efforts to make OC publicly acceptable...

Brent
Old January 8, 2011, 08:06 PM   #10
KSFreeman

Quote:
What's the point of this? I mean, why do it? It will only serve to show our legislators that the law needs rewording, and they will probably make some changes to prevent people from doing this.

Sorry, but this is dumb.
It's a political march, you know, the whole reason for being of the First Amendment.

Ohio carry demonstrations helped change Ohio law. Why not try them in Flor-a-duh?

Quote:
I bet the shooting in AZ may have hampered the efforts to make OC publicly acceptable...
OC was the only way you could carry in AZ until fairly recently (relatively).

They've had mass murders in Arizona before, they will have them again. Only one way to prevent them and that's to carry.